Prop Specs for 23 R or G F300 Yamaha

Alicedream

Reaction score
I have not dropped my new Bennington in water. The dealer put a 15 1/2-17 prop on the motor. I was wondering how that compare to what others have?  I thought it might have a 15 1/2-16.

Our 150 has a 15x15p Enertia. I don't think anyone else makes even pitches. I think you should be good with a 17p. If not, the dealer should make you happy.  :)

Our 150 has a 15x15p Enertia. I don't think anyone else makes even pitches. I think you should be good with a 17p. If not, the dealer should make you happy.  :)

Thank you cwag.  I thought it would be 16 or 17.

I'm running a 19 pitch on my 250

Think you'll be fine.  I have vf250 (vmax) on a smaller boat (Gsr 2250) that started life with a 15 1/4 by 18 swsII .  Ran fine but only turned 5400 rpm.  Swapped to the 15 1-2/16 and rpm's are closer to 6000.  Really wanted the 17 to try but Yamaha and their back ordered props made it difficult.   Can't wait to hear how it runs 

I have not dropped my new Bennington in water. The dealer put a 15 1/2-17 prop on the motor. I was wondering how that compare to what others have?  I thought it might have a 15 1/2-16.

Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but before I took delivery I asked my dealer about the prop. He told me that while they have a good idea which one will go on, they won't actually know until they sea-trial it. The way I understood it from him, no two boats are the same and they will install the size that comes closest to the manufacturer's specs. 

True, false or somewhere in-between?

Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but before I took delivery I asked my dealer about the prop. He told me that while they have a good idea which one will go on, they won't actually know until they sea-trial it. The way I understood it from him, no two boats are the same and they will install the size that comes closest to the manufacturer's specs. 

True, false or somewhere in-between?

My dealer is an hour from water. No sea trial. They have always done a good job with the props in the past, but this is obviously a large motor. After some more research and comments, I would  be pretty certain they probably got it right. If your read the performance bulletin tests you can get a pretty good idea of what is going to work.

You're right that water testing is the best way to get it right. That is not an option  easily with my dealer so I always discuss with them prop specs in advance.

Guess I just took it for granted that a dealer would sea-trial a boat but obviously, that's not always possible. 

Guess I just took it for granted that a dealer would sea-trial a boat but obviously, that's not always possible. 

My dealer did, but I still ended up going a little lower pitch on the prop later, at no charge. I was a little concerned about it, as I really wanted to have complete control over the engine break in process from the first key in the ignition.

Hi AliceDream,

Try this link to a Yamaha service bulletin that is very close to your build.  I used these bulletins for my prop selection and it turned out great.  The dealer was dead set on one size...one that Yamaha recommends, only to find out that Yamaha had changed the prop size.  I did some testing and found the one recommended in the service bulletin was the right one for my boat.  

Good luck!

Service Bulletin:  http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/BNT_2350QCL_F300XCA_2014-10-29_PNT.pdf

Service Bulletin Selector:  http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins  (In case you want to see what else is available.) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi AliceDream,

Try this link to a Yamaha service bulletin that is very close to your build.  I used these bulletins for my prop selection and it turned out great.  The dealer was dead set on one size...one that Yamaha recommends, only to find out that Yamaha had changed the prop size.  I did some testing and found the one recommended in the service bulletin was the right one for my boat.  

Good luck!

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/BNT_2350QCL_F300XCA_2014-10-29_PNT.pdf

Thank you Azray. I have been reviewing these bulletins and I would say you could go with either a 15 1/2 -16 and 15 1/2-17.  I would say it will probably be good, but if I am not getting the performance of expect I will be looking for a 16.

I went from a 17 to a 15.  For mine, the 17 just didn't feel right nor did the motor.  I put the 15 on and it sounded better and rode better.  The 17 was faster, but it just didn't feel right.  Hopefully your dealer will let you test ride them.  I switched pops out on the lake which helped me determine the one I wanted.  That's one nice motor!  I'm sure your going to enjoy it!  ...and the boat isn't too bad either!   :D

I would try it to see how it works, You will need to get some of your breakin time done before you can run it hard enough to tell. 

I had mine out friday and have almost the full 10 hours of breakin done. With just my big 6'3" 300lbs in it and full tank of fuel and two extra group 31 battery's for the trolling motor and safety equipment.

I was doing 6300 rpm easy which is max for my motor and 35mph gps. The dealer put a 15.25 x 15 pitch on it. I was thinking was too much for a 115 command thrust but now I think its about right.

I'm running a 15.5x17 SWSII.  Seems to be a good fit on my R23 with F300.  I could probably get a little more MPH if prop'd differently, but then I'd give up low end grunt which I really like with this setup.

My details and performance are listed in the "specs" thread.

Mark

I'm running a 15.5x17 SWSII.  Seems to be a good fit on my R23 with F300.  I could probably get a little more MPH if prop'd differently, but then I'd give up low end grunt which I really like with this setup.

My details and performance are listed in the "specs" thread.

Mark

Thank you Mark.  I would be very happy with the numbers you have on the Spec Thread. It is  right in the range I had hoped for.

Ray

Back