ProXS vs standard 4 stroke

Kcsaab

Reaction score
I am a mercury guy and would buy another Verado but they don't make it in the 150 or 115 hp motors anymore. So I am trying to decide between a ProXS command thrust and a normal 4-storke command thrust motor for my new Bennington. I am having a heck of a time finding any difference between the 2. I had one dealer tell me the ProXS is made for bass boats and has a different gear ratio, according to the Mercury website the gear ratio is the same on both motors. What does this group think?

To my understanding, ProXS is tuned little higher (Timing/Fuel) to give you a little more horse under the hood then on the outside sticker. The redline is also few hundred RPM's higher. A 115 ProXPS might be 120 - 125 hp.. So they charge you more for that model over the base

I have seen quite a few ProXS on pontoons .

I have to imagine that the 4 stroke version of the pro XS is tuned to the higher side of the 10% HP rating allowed by the boating association like the 2 stroke version was. So legally a 150hp can provide up to 165hp so you see many motors like Pro XS, Yamaha Vmax, Evinrude Etec HO push that 10% envelope. For example, my 2011 150hp Merc Pro XS turns at 5750 RPM and has carbon fiber reeds etc and tuned port injection and by dyno readings from the factory are at that 165hp reading.

I‘m all in on the Mercury Verado’s myself. But given your situation in not having a Verado option in you HP choices, I’d go the ProXS for the tuning (and potential subtle component upgrades), and HP reasons above. Zoom, zoom!

I presume it is similar to Yamaha with their std engine vs their SHO
I recently rode on a guys pontoon that had the 175 SHO, and I would swear that it is every bit the engine that the base 200 is.
So I would also expect better performance from a given size Pro XS vs it's std counterpart.
It will however be louder at higher RPM. Not sure if it is noticeable at idle. The SHO was fine at idle, but certainly louder at speed.

Back