Question for owners with sinks and pressurized water tanks

JeffS

Reaction score
I could swear...when I first got my boat, I could leave the water system powered on and the pump would only run when I turned on a faucet. When the faucet turned off, the system would shut off automatically.

If that's true, then there's a pressure switch on the pump that activates +12v only when pressure drops.

Last year, what I am remembering, stopped happening. When I would power the system on, the pump would run the whole time regardless if a faucet was open or not. To me, that meant that either there was an air leak in the system, or the pressure switch went bad.

Took it to the dealer to be fixed, and they are telling me there is not a pressure switch on that system that they know of. And that when the system is powered on, it will run the pump.

The dealer may be exactly right, and I may be imagining that the pump would cycle on and off automatically based on an open faucet. Or maybe I'm right and the dealer is just unaware.

Can anyone with the pressure water system chime in with how their setup works?

-Jeff

I don't think you're crazy! I just got my boat last year and the pump used to cycle on and off if you only opened the hose a turn or so. once wide open it ran full till, once I shut it off the pump would wind back down to a stop.

Jeff,  did the water system get winterized?  I am guessing that is something that would need to be done to prevent the pump and lines from freezing and breaking.  We have an RV and water systems have to be winterized (if living in a freeze area).  If the pump is running when it should be "on demand" there has to be air getting in somewhere.  Maybe check at the connections for the pipes, check the clamps, see if the pump itself got damaged, I would think that if the pump were on all the time, it would affect battery life on the boat.

Thank you for the replies. I agree...on demand and then pump shuts off automatically. This issue appeared in fall, and the system was winterized. I am going to have them fix it. Thanks again everyone.

My pump stays on as long as the switch is activated.  I wish it had a pressure sensor, I've had a large puddle form under the sink because I forgot to turn it off.

We can leave our switch on and the pump will only run when we use the sink or wash-down...

I am in agreement that it can be left on and will only run when the faucet is open.....

The pump should have an internal pressure switch. Should be the same as an RV.

Maybe the switch is bad and you should have your dealer check it out. You paid for a 7 year warranty, you should use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back