Quick clip replacement

Kenter

Reaction score
Ordered a couple of quick clips from EBay, wondering if anyone has replaced before? No holes in the clips so do i drill through first?and what tool do i need to install?

Kenter, I am also interested in replacing some clips. My father removed the cover from the boat on his own, first time. He thought he was pulling snaps apart (like all our boat covers of the past), but he was in fact breaking the plastic clips. Broke about 8 or 9 of them. I too saw the replacement clips on Ebay. (Fifteen bucks a piece?!) But I didn't want to buy because I wasn't even sure I would be able to attach them when I got them. The original ones seem to use some type of rivet configuration. Anybody in this forum have inside info on how to perform successful repair?

Yes i bought 2 of the clips they actually sent me 3 and the rivets. You need a rivet tool to attach, the only thing i am not sure about is that the clips didn’t come with holes with them for the rivets? Not sure if you need to drill, punch a hole first and then secure with the rivets or not. Couldn’t find anything on the internet on how to attach so i figured someone here has had to have the same issue and knows how to attach.

I added a few clips last year so I bought several clips from Tumacs Covers (Top supplier to Bennington last year) for a little over $2 a piece after shipping. I bought some spares for the future. They came with the black snaps, not rivets. You will need to drill holes in the plastic pieces. I used a standard punch type snap installation tool with a hammer to install.

Your dealer should have or be able to get the clips or the canvas shop that works for your dealer.

Last edited:
Thanks i double checked and the ones i ordered also came with the black snaps. Did u just drill out the old snaps or how did you get them out. Thanks again

I did not remove any clips, I just added a few. You should be able to drill the old ones out, just don't go too big on the drill bit. Probably use a drill bit the size of the shank on the snap.

I used one similar to this one. Make sure it has a flat side for the snap to fit in. There are several brands and types available.

2021-06-16_7-40-51.jpg

I contacted Tumac and got these spare parts. Hope to try to do the repairs this weekend or next.

Attachments

• C84010AC-ABB3-4847-A632-C4D5C7503CA5.jpeg
    C84010AC-ABB3-4847-A632-C4D5C7503CA5.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 64
Report out: Everything worked as planned. I bought 10+ replacement clips and snaps from Tumac. And I bought a $4 snap tool from Michaels hobby store. Drilled the old clips out with a 3/16 bit. Drilled 5/32 holes into the new clips (matched location on each clip being replaced). Installed new clips and snaps in the old holes, flared the metal of the snaps with the snap tool. Done.

Back