R Series Performance...and... Swingback comfort when sitting facing forward.

Runway04

Reaction score
Hey guys. Wondering if anyone here has an R23 with a 200hp V6 Merc? My guess is somewhere around 40 mph. Also, when the swingback is set for forward facing like a bench, is it fairly comfortable? Thanks.

Just recently got my r23 swingback with yamaha 300. My wife has sat back there a lot of the 13 hours facing forward. She has not complained about the comfort at all. We have the sport upholstery upgrade, but any of the pillow top should be similar. I would think that with a 200hp mercury you should hit 40 with no problem with a light load. I'm at 47 light.

You should be perfectly comfortable while sitting facing forward with the swingback seat. Ours is the original style SB seat, but it feels very comfortable when sitting there. I would expect the newer SB seat to be equally comfy, if not more so.

As for the 200 v6 Merc, its a great motor. I think you’d be fine. However, if you can move up slightly to a 225 or 250, I’m sure you’ll enjoy those too. Ottoman is nice, but I don’t really see you missing it either way. Nice to have, but if you don’t have it, you wont miss it.

Which hull are you going with SPS, SPS+ or ESP? Regardless, I think you will really like it as is, let alone if you tweak the order to move up in HP.

You should be perfectly comfortable while sitting facing forward with the swingback seat. Ours is the original style SB seat, but it feels very comfortable when sitting there. I would expect the newer SB seat to be equally comfy, if not more so.

As for the 200 v6 Merc, its a great motor. I think you’d be fine. However, if you can move up slightly to a 225 or 250, I’m sure you’ll enjoy those too. Ottoman is nice, but I don’t really see you missing it either way. Nice to have, but if you don’t have it, you wont miss it.

Which hull are you going with SPS, SPS+ or ESP? Regardless, I think you will really like it as is, let alone if you tweak the order to move up i
Going with the ESP hull. Also the gas assist sport arch. This will force us to have the co-captain chair but I think it will also be very comfortable.

The sport arch adds some serious weight to that boat. MIght be tough hitting 40mph with the 200HP between the weight of the R series mixed with the sport arch. If running super light loads, might hit it. Otherwise, I think the 200HP with that set up probably puts you in the mid 30’s more often than not.

The ESP is a great hull! If dealing with big water or big wakes, then absolutely worth it. However, if you drop down to the SPS+ hull, you might be able to then move up to a 250HP Merc for the money to then counterbalance the weight of the boat.

All of that said, no bad decisions to make. It’s going to be a sweet boat.

The esp hull is unbelievable in its turning ability. I thought the sps hull turned great. I have now redefined great. I would stick with the esp hull, ditch the ottoman, and go to the 225 or maybe 250.

Have whomever will use the ottoman simply use the cooler while underway.

The ottoman is a PITA. It is in the way and usually stuff is on top of it so it doesn't work for storage. We took ours out 3 years ago and have not missed it.

It's not a must have, but we like ours. We have twin captain's chairs and my wife always has her feet up on it. We don't use it for a cooler, we keep all our boat papers, registration and manuals in it. I will admit it is in the way when we get fuel and need to use the side gate.

Attachments

• IMG_5022_LR.JPG
    IMG_5022_LR.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 19
Back