Ready to Order

Pat and Renee

Reaction score
First I should say that me and lady leave in Michigan and have access to many inland lakes and have a camp site on a river leading to Lake Erie

In winter will be traveling around the USA with a fifth wheel and the boat we decide upon. 

The waters will be both salt and fresh

The waters will be smooth and rough.

Camping/cooking on the boat from time to time and mostly just the 2 of us in the winter months.

Skiing and tubing with the boat in summer when closer to family

This is were the hard part is what do we focus our purchase on cruising or playing and what are the trades off between 22 and 25 feet both with 200 to 250hp engines?

We like the floor plan on the 2250 and the2550 is same floor plan but a bigger boat.

I'm not sure if I buy the 22ft boat how often I might say dam wish I hade the bigger boat. I'm thinking the bigger boat would be better because of the added space to make a bed up front and maybe even smoother of a ride. Would it handle the rougher water better and so on.

Then if I buy the 25ft boat how often I might say dam wish I hade the smaller boat. I'm thinking more fun when I do want to have it pulling grand kids and skiers and parking would be easier, trailering easier. Would it handle the rough water similar to the big boat.

Both of these boats would be loaded with a

Power Assist Steering

ESP Tritoon Package

Rough and Salt Water Packages

Sharkhide Tube Protectant

Exterior Accent 2nd Cooler

In Floor Storage

Changing Room in Chaise End

Full Seagrass Flooring

Elevated Helm

Lighted 10ft Bimini Top

Lighted cup Holders

Docking Lights and SS Housing

HD Rub Rail

120V Built in Charger

Dual Battery with A/B Switch

Removable Ski Pylon

Garmin GPS Color Inland Offshore

Sony MB Stereo with Blue tooth and USB

Will be looking for a camper enclosure and read about some better ones than from dealer?

Would be looking for any suggestion on something I've overlooked or any other suggestions would be helpful for the type of boating we are going to be doing.

We just purchase our new fifth wheel and use the Heartland Forum and it was very helpful to have piece of mind before signing on the dotted line.

Thanks in advance

Have you looked at DOT regulations on overall length?  If you're pulling a fifth wheel with a boat behind it I think you'll be right up to the max in a lot of states.  I can't remember what max length is where I live but I had a friend that had to go from an 18' to 16' Lund behind his camper to be legal, but that was several years ago.  Just something I would consider first....

Congrats on whichever you choose. It sounds like a great setup.

Have you looked at DOT regulations on overall length? If you're pulling a fifth wheel with a boat behind it I think you'll be right up to the max in a lot of states. I can't remember what max length is where I live but I had a friend that had to go from an 18' to 16' Lund behind his camper to be legal, but that was several years ago. Just something I would consider first....

FYI 2550 deck length about 27.5' with motor 29-30' with trailer 30-35'. Can't tell you about the smaller boat but the 2550 handles great. I use mine on Lake St. Clair and was out in about 4' chop the other day and loved how it handled. No problem pulling tubs, or knee board either.

The boat and fifth wheel are being pulled separately

Spoke to a dealer and his only suggestion was a 300hp on the 2550 and 200hp

Its a tough decision and starting to lean towards the 2250 which is 24ft 6inch long and should handle some rough waters set up correctly

With that said now onto motor

F200 or f250 is dealers suggestion but they were trying to sell me the 200

I would like to pull skiers and go 45mph without much problem

Seems I read buy as big as you can afford

Yup, go for the 250. If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right.    :D

I'm new to buying a boat, but I was really surprised by how one of the dealers I was working with was trying to push me into the smaller motor. Just doesn't make sense. You would think they would like to get the higher price, but for some reason he was trying to tell me the smaller motor would suffice, even though I'm now confident it wouldn't have. In my case, he was trying to sell me at 50-60, I then pushed him towards at least a 90hp. I ended up getting the 150 from another dealer, boy did I dodge a bullet!

I recommend going with the most you feel comfortable spending, I'm REALLY thankful I max'd out my toon with the 150 for all around usability.

The other thing I'll throw out there. My 22' is larger than I really imagined. Given where I boat and the fact that I'm new to boating, I'm glad I didn't get a larger boat. I'd just be more unnecessarily stressed trying to navigate the tight waterways.

Best of luck!

We've got the 2250 GSR with the 250 VMax. I wouldn't want less motor. We hit 45 mph with 4-5 folks on board and full fuel tank. More importantly for me, it has great hole shot for skiing. The VMax on the back of the Benny actually pulls me out of the water on a slalom ski better than our old Crownline ski boat. The ESP and the 250 make a great combination for tubing as well. As previously noted, the 2250 is actually almost 25 ft long. We've had a dozen folks on board and not felt crowded (I believe it's rated for 13).

We've got the 2250 GSR with the 250 VMax. I wouldn't want less motor. We hit 45 mph with 4-5 folks on board and full fuel tank. More importantly for me, it has great hole shot for skiing. The VMax on the back of the Benny actually pulls me out of the water on a slalom ski better than our old Crownline ski boat. The ESP and the 250 make a great combination for tubing as well. As previously noted, the 2250 is actually almost 25 ft long. We've had a dozen folks on board and not felt crowded (I believe it's rated for 13).
ThanksI read your boats details and was wondering about the dual captain lounger look in the benny book and its not shown

What is the electrical panel distribution

Im really wanting great electrical system for cooking and camping

Going with dual battery with a/b switch and wanting shore power with invertor

You happy with the sea grass floor

Wife loves the co-captains chair. Makes conversation during cruise much easier. I have to admit that I don't really know the function of the distribution panel. From what I see, I have two batteries, with a switch to use battery 1, battery 2, or both. We love theses grass. Very easy to clean and comfy on the feet.

The boat and fifth wheel are being pulled separately

Spoke to a dealer and his only suggestion was a 300hp on the 2550 and 200hp

Its a tough decision and starting to lean towards the 2250 which is 24ft 6inch long and should handle some rough waters set up correctly

Ahh, makes sense now!

I don't have any advice on the length, but echo comments above on max'ing the motor.  Looks like a great build!

I tow a 22" pontoon to Canada yearly and it tows nicely.  I have towed the Bennington (2575 RCW) with the same vehicle (2009 2500 Suburban), there is a huge difference. It is much heavier.  Freeways are not too bad, but the smaller roads really keep your attention.  I love the big boat but if I towed it around I would get a 22'.

Yep, get the 250.  It'll do everything the 200 will do and more.  I got the 225 and already wish I had the 250.

Yep, get the 250.  It'll do everything the 200 will do and more.  I got the 225 and already wish I had the 250.
Ready to make the deal and have no loyalty to any local dealer so price will be a big factor but would like to find a decent dealer that can install all the extra goodies

When I start to get quotes is there an % amount that I should assume the dealer would drop the cost

The new fifth wheel was 30% plus

I was going to send a spreadsheet with boat details and get quotes from dealers since its special order assuming the prices will be close

Anybody have a dealer they can recommend in the Midwest I'm okay with a road trip within 8hrs or so from Ann Arbor michigan area

Hawkeye Boat Sales. Dubuque, Iowa

Call Chris at Dry Dock Boats Angola In. Main Channel Marine in Syracuse Indiana always has a lot of inventory also.

Call Chris at Dry Dock Boats Angola In. Main Channel Marine in Syracuse Indiana always has a lot of inventory also.
Thanks

Will call tomorrow

Would like to order ASAP

gave local salesmen my spreadsheet yesterday and have not Heard back yet

Hoping to have a new boat by July 4th

You are willing to travel 8 hours to save money , BUT, are you willing to travel 8 hours for warranty? Search previous threads on saving money vs dealer service. Saving a couple thousand now might seem like a nice deal, but it may haunt you in the long run. One of the issues is if you have a local Benni dealer you DID NOT buy from, most likely if you have issues, you will be at the end of the line for service .... Just a warning .... Good luck in your search !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put a ratio of 70/30, 70 being finding a great dealer vs 30 a great deal. Obviously within reason. If the great dealer is 8G more, well that's pretty substantial, but $2000, I'd pay it for a great dealer. Also as Dave said, an 8 hour drive both ways is a hefty fuel bill, a couple of those and you've covered the difference. 

Back