Rear Camara instead of a mirror?

I am loving the idea. To make it more useful for me, it would be a camera that is wireless like this, that would work with a iPad, and is waterproof, so I could take pics in and under water. Then when not doing that it’s my rear view mirror. Anyone have a good solution? I don’t think GoPros will connect to iPads, but to be honest, I haven’t looked into it.
Tim, thanks for the reply.
I already looked at some of the options to feed video to my iPad Mini but all of them will require those devices to produce their own a Wi-Fi network. When this happens you can only view one device at a time. I always thought it would be an amazing idea to add the front and rear camera at the same time and that's what directed me towards this product.
Another thing was that I needed to make sure the streaming video was flawless as I would never want to see anything choppy at high speeds specially while Towing anyone.
One cool feature about this setup that I may have forgotten to share is that I can record video from any camera with one push of a button from the main screen. With a 128gb micro SD card it will record 144hrs of video at 720p. So it kind of acts like a little GoPro as well

Last edited:
We did as BennyBoat is doing and installed this last year on our 2015 2575RCW:

We used this cupholder phone mount to give us a little more height and reach flexibility, placed in the helm cupholder:

Also picked up this for mounting in the vehicle while we trailer:

We use it every time we trailer and it is so much nicer to see behind the boat on the road as well - and all using the same equipment, just swapping out the mount to the cupholder when using on the boat.

We super easily mounted the camera to the port side bimini short trailering strut, wrapping the camera bracket around the strut with one self-tapping screw coming from the front of the strut, camera facing rearward of course (sorry, I don't have a pic handy). When the strut is in trailering mode it is vertical and the camera faces straight back behind the boat. When the bimini is up ,the trailering strut is again pushed back down and vertical (just like we would without the camera), and it again faces straight back behind the boat (minor vertical adjustments real easy just by pivoting the camera by hand up or down). While not as perfect a view as if on the back of the boat or up on top center of the bimini, wiring and mounting was so much easier this way but that could be done as well if you wanted.

We ran the wire down under the rear seat and straight to a fuse holder at the battery. If you would not use it for trailering, I would wire it through a helm switch so the camera itself would be automatically turned off when you switch off power from there. However, that would not work for us during trailering so we just disconnect the in-wire quick coupler at the camera. The only downside is that with that wiring, we do need to remember to disconnect the cable when not in use (to not drain the boat battery). It also doesn't seem to like being powered on for extended (day at a time) periods so when we forgot to unplug, we also had to unplug for a minute or so to reset it.

In the end, if you trailer too and want a solution that covers both off and on the water, with very minimal install requirements (we spent much more time evaluating what to do than doing it), this has work very well for us. If you don't trailer, as otherwise stated, I would consider a quality mirror instead.

Hope this helps!

Wanted to send over a quick update on the installation of the camera system and my iPad mini for separate navigation.
Everything went as planned and I think the transformation of the helm really gives it some Wow factor. In addition...so easy to use now.
Feel free to ask me any questions, but definitely should be an option out there if this interests you.
Thanks again for all your kind words and support on this project!

**Based on a previous post by @Vikingstaff Helm Storage Compartment Solution I also integrated the Yeti storage pouch and a magnetic bottle opener w/ black aluminum plate behind for a mount point**

Quick Video Walkthrough

Attachments

• IMG_6282.jpg
    IMG_6282.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6283.jpg
    IMG_6283.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6284.jpg
    IMG_6284.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6285.jpg
    IMG_6285.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6195.jpg
    IMG_6195.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Outstanding job with those modifications BennyBoat! I love that set up, and REALLY appreciate you sharing the finished product. The video was super helpful in taking in how you did it and how it works.

Outstanding job with those modifications BennyBoat! I love that set up, and REALLY appreciate you sharing the finished product. The video was super helpful in taking in how you did it and how it works.
Jeff,
Thanks so much for the feedback. Glad you think it is as cool as I do! Makes great use of the empty spaces to the L&R of the screen.
It was so great to see this idea I have been waiting months for actualy layout the way I planned

Jeff,
Thanks so much for the feedback. Glad you think it is as cool as I do! Makes great use of the empty spaces to the L&R of the screen.
It was so great to see this idea I have been waiting months for actualy layout the way I planned
That's a great looking helm BennyBoat! I am surprised that there aren't more offerings from Bennington for multiple MFD's considering how much is done with technology. I'm also working on a new and similar helm set-up so it's nice to see someone else geeking out with this stuff!

That's a great looking helm BennyBoat! I am surprised that there aren't more offerings from Bennington for multiple MFD's considering how much is done with technology. I'm also working on a new and similar helm set-up so it's nice to see someone else geeking out with this stuff!
@FeelingMinnesota Thanks for the compliment! I totally agree, Bennington's are so beautiful but they are lacking in pushing the limits on the tech. I'm sure that time will come, they are just a little late to the party. Definitely share some photos or ideas on your project. Us tech geeks need to support each other!;)

That is actually incorrect. I will speak for SD, you must have a rearview mirror when pulling anyone (skiing, tubing, kneeboarding, surfing etc) unless there is a spotter on the vessel.
All boating rules I read indicate a spotter MUST be onboard when towing. Perhaps this rear view mirror rule is unique in your state?

Florida law says:

• As well as the operator, an observer is required to be on board when a person is being towed, or the operator must have and use a wide-angle rear-view mirror

Rules vary by state. Hence, always important to double check them.

We do a lot of tubing. A lot. For us, we have a spotter if any water sports are being done. With our swingback layout, we usually have 2-3 spotters hanging out back there.

However, I wouldn’t mind having a review mirror myself (or review camera system) for better personal awareness behind our boat when at the helm.

Back