Relocate batteries to under seat

Aftonomos

Reaction score
Hi everyone!  Just came home with my first boat, a 2014 22ssx.  The previous owner (of 29 hours) had a second battery, batt switch, and power pole installed on the boat.   He/she didn't really care about the changing room as the batteries are mounting in the way as well as the pump for the power pole. 

There appears to be enough slack to move both batteries to the seat storage area directly in front of the changing room.  I'm thinking of simply cutting out another hole on the deck and pulling the wires through, mounting the batteries and the hydro lines for the power pole to the seat compartment.  This will free up the entire storage/changing area to put a large cooler and potentially a emergency toilet should the need arise.

I planned on simply removing the large grommet that was used and capping the hole with a piece of stainless or aluminum.  Do I need to somehow cap it from the bottom as well?   - The boat has splash shields and I haven't looked at how to remove them to gain access.

I also planned on leaving the batt switch inside the changing room instead of putting it under the seat.  Ease of access would be why but maybe you all can reference your own battery setups and let me know what works best.

Thanks!

We have two batteries, the selector switch, and an emergency toilet in the changing room area of our 2016 21SLX, and there is still lots of room for changing in there. I asked my dealer to be sure to locate both of the battery boxes are as far toward the port side of the enclosure as possible. I don't have a "power pole" and "pump" (heck, not really sure what they are or their function) so I don't know how much room they take.

I do know that removing the wave shields is very difficult, since I've asked my dealer about several mods that would have required them to be removed and re-installed. My dealer advised against it, even though he would have financially benefitted.

Here is what I'm working with.  I figured there would be a lot more usable room if I move these to under the seat. 

Power pole is a somewhat comman anchor used for shallow water.  It's basically a pole that is hydraulically deployed into the sand to anchor the boat.   Pretty useful around there parts for anchoring close to a island/beach/sandbar and then using a sand/surf spike off the front of the boat.

ChangeRoom_zpszrxfwipu.jpg

Is it possible instead of going through the deck to just use a hole saw and cut a clean hole into the plastic?  Then, just move the batteries next door and route the cables direct.  I can't tell from the pic which way you're trying to move them.

Is it possible instead of going through the deck to just use a hole saw and cut a clean hole into the plastic?  Then, just move the batteries next door and route the cables direct.  I can't tell from the pic which way you're trying to move them.

This is what I did. i have the original battery in the changing compartment, and ran the wires through the wall and into the rear storage for the second battery. 

Here is what I'm working with.  I figured there would be a lot more usable room if I move these to under the seat. 

Power pole is a somewhat comman anchor used for shallow water.  It's basically a pole that is hydraulically deployed into the sand to anchor the boat.   Pretty useful around there parts for anchoring close to a island/beach/sandbar and then using a sand/surf spike off the front of the boat.

ChangeRoom_zpszrxfwipu.jpg
Thanks for the Power Pole" explanation.

I've done a good bit of boating on my BIL's pontoon boat in your area, and yes, with the many shallow sand bars on the Intracoastal around Ponce Inlet, I can see where a power pole would be useful. We're on the St. John river, and there - not so much.

Woke up to re-read my post and learn I can't spell :unsure:   (comman?).

I may just move them over and avoid making another hole in the deck.   I can bend up an aluminum cover to make better use of that area (flat floor)

Woke up to re-read my post and learn I can't spell :unsure:   (comman?).

I may just move them over and avoid making another hole in the deck.   I can bend up an aluminum cover to make better use of that area (flat floor)
Everyone knows it's spelled learneded...geesh. On a more serious note... never mind; I have a hard time being serious. 

I don't have any pix of inside the enclosure, but this is what we have, and I bet its the same as yours. Two battery boxes are on the port, stern end of the area, and the switch is mounted there as well. It works out well for us since we store the rolled up play pen cover on top of the batteries when underway. Since we are on a river with lots of wild life (read: Alligators) the GKs don't swim, and the enclosure serves just as an emergency head. Plenty of room for that.

IMG_6770_zpsrtzoyvji.jpg
IMG_7104_zpsf2a32e32.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a decent gator! Where are you in FL?

Back