Reminder - Check your Outboard Bolts!

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
I tucked my Benny in for it's winter nap this weekend, and as I was wiping down the Engine I noted the mounting plate was not flush against the Transom. A quick inspection revealed the lower bolts were loose enough that I could spin the nuts with my fingers. The upper bolts were tight (holding full weight of engine), but loose enough that the mounting plate was at least a 1/16th of an inch off the transom. I tightened them all down, it is again flush. 1 season, less than 30 hours "professionally serviced" by a Bennington Dealer!!! I also noted there were no lock washers nor a set of double nuts - seems odd. In any event, FYI - be sure this is a regular inspection point!

Attachments

• 2022-09-05 08.59.13.jpg
    2022-09-05 08.59.13.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 2022-09-05 08.59.34.jpg
    2022-09-05 08.59.34.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 34
Yep, Jam nuts are a must.
Some dealers have less than qualified personnel rigging these things.

Oops a Daisey :)
I like how they did Midnight express (boat manufacture) across the motors.

Attachments

• Oops.jpg
    Oops.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 32
Oops a Daisey :)
I like how they did Midnight express (boat manufacture) across the motors.
Damn so he has settle for "only" 1400HP!!!

I tucked my Benny in for it's winter nap this weekend, and as I was wiping down the Engine I noted the mounting plate was not flush against the Transom. A quick inspection revealed the lower bolts were loose enough that I could spin the nuts with my fingers. The upper bolts were tight (holding full weight of engine), but loose enough that the mounting plate was at least a 1/16th of an inch off the transom. I tightened them all down, it is again flush. 1 season, less than 30 hours "professionally serviced" by a Bennington Dealer!!! I also noted there were no lock washers nor a set of double nuts - seems odd. In any event, FYI - be sure this is a regular inspection point!
Good catch!

Back