Repair console - console material

urqfamatl

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Bennington 2575RCW - great boat. I want to do some repair on the driver console - specifically I replaced the factory depth finder and there are some screw holes I want to repair. They are in line of sight so I would really like to color match. How do you repair the center console material? I have seen so much about repairing seats and other items - but never anything on the center console. Also - is it posssible to fix larger holes (for example - if I want to fill in the original rectangle cut-out for the original GPS - can i fix larger portions of the console)? My biggest issue is matching the console material. Any help is appreicated.

That will be a tough repair to just blend in as they are fiberglass. Have you checked with a dealer to see what Bennington uses or recommends?

Maybe add a 12vdc outlet or a Faria 2" depth gauge where damage is......just a thought. ****new idea**** Maybe have a "Bennington" logo made by vinyl sign shop to go over that area. The one with wings would cover a lot.

Last edited:
I am a very UN-handy type person in these areas. Just a couple thoughts here. Can you post pictures of the specific area(s) you are considering repairs on for the console? That might help pinpoint ideas for much more handy forum members to provide ideas to you.

I don’t know anything about patching fiberglass, but people do it. So there has to be possibilities. I remember my uncles “patching” my grandpa’s old fiberlglass v-hull when they had a docking incident in my childhood. I also remember how poorly it looked after it was patched. :oops:

My crude and novice thoughts:
I would imagine color matching or getting a smooth sanded finish on a fiberglass patch might be challenging. For a larger areas, any imperfections seem more likely to show up. Thus, how about just putting in something else to “cover” the spot. Two ideas in that direction: One, is there something else you could or might want to mount there? Could be a gadget, device, cradle for device, etc... OR two, how about a contrasting “plate” of a different material/color that adheres over the top of the gap? Perhaps something in a contrasting color that matching some other trim color on your boat?

It seems like something like this might be easier to do. Cut and potentially sand the edges of the cover plate. Use some sort of sealant like a liquid cement or 3m adhesive to adhere over the top of the area in question.

Think of it like the interior of luxury vehicles that have subtle but often numerous ares of the interior that are different materials, colors, patterns, etc that provide aesthetic “pop” to the look. Maybe doing something like that could make your helm look unique and neat in a cheaper or easier manner than trying to patch the spot...?

Back