RockFord PMX -2 and kicker amp 2020 tritoon problems

Andy Bobowski

Reaction score
I I just purchased a new Bennington and the only speakers working are in the arch when the amp is on. When I turn off the amp the rear speakers are the only ones that work. Has anybody had problems like this.

Call the Dealership

they are trying to get an audio expert to come there. Bennington should of tested the system before they delivered it to the dealer. My depth and temp gauge dose not work either. i wanted to see if others are having the same problem.

I I just purchased a new Bennington and the only speakers working are in the arch when the amp is on. When I turn off the amp the rear speakers are the only ones that work. Has anybody had problems like this.
I ordered a Bennington R24 Bowrider Quad Fastback in November 2020 and it finally arrived in mid May 2021. I opted for the upgraded Rosewell Speakers with Roswell Amp, 10 inch subwoofer and 6’5” Roswell speakers option #9011011 with a MSRP of $4,700. The rear stern speakers don’t work and the dealer ordered from Bennington and installed two replacement Rockford Fosgate PMX2 digital media receivers but stern speakers still don’t work. Any thoughts as to what could be the problem and how to rectify.

With my Roswell sound system, to turn up the rear speakers you have to use a sub up and down button located just to the left of the knob. They have the where speakers to level off of the sub buttons

Wow, good to know. One would think the dealership already knew and tried this procedure, but worth trying myself when I go to the marina. Thank You

Just to clarify, when you mean rear speakers, are you referring to the two stern speakers facing the engine/water. The four speakers in the boat, two in front, and two in back do work, but the two in the stern facing the engine don’t work. Thank again for the feedback.

Just to clarify, when you mean rear speakers, are you referring to the two stern speakers facing the engine/water. The four speakers in the boat, two in front, and two in back do work, but the two in the stern facing the engine don’t work. Thank again for the feedback.

Correct I am speaking about the rear facing stern speakers. The volume of those are controlled by the sub up and sub down buttons to the left of the knob.
If you turn the sub volume all the way up on the radio then control the volume with the knob they should get louder.
It took me a hot minute to figure it out as well.

Attachments

• B63995EF-D2A5-4F35-8FA5-28EF07457158.png
    B63995EF-D2A5-4F35-8FA5-28EF07457158.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 31
Geeezzz, being a new Bennington owner and reading through the Rockford PMX2 manual, I would never have figured that out. I hope this resolves my issue and as I previously stated, one would assume the Bennington dealership I ordered and bought the 2021 R24 Bowrider already tried this remedy, but who knows for sure. Once again, thank you very much for the insight and once I get to the Marina next weekend I will give it a try and reply back with the results. Be well, safe and healthy

So what happened?
After much consternation and replacing various PMX2 units sent by Bennington, my Bennington dealer downloaded the wiring schematic and found the wires from the PMX2 to the rear speakers were either crossed or installed incorrectly at the factory. Once this was determined, they corrected the error. Since the boat was ordered in November 2020 and delivered May 2021, at the height of the Covid pandemic, I believe the Bennington factory was scrambling to fulfill orders with a limited number of staff and their quality control suffered. There we a few other factory misses that have since been rectified by my dealer.

I just got my new Bennington yesterday, I am noticing that the subwoofer is working, but doesn't produce a lot of base. I turned the sub volume all the way up, and its still lacking. I am guessing they do not adjust the gain on the amplifier at all when then install? I was going to adjust it, but when I looked at the amp, they installed it so those controls are under the helm, in towards the starboard wall of the boat. Kind of stupid because now I cant get to the adjustment knobs easily...going to have to un screw the amp from the sub box, flip it around and then reinstall it.

Who did the install? Bennington or Dealer? A Bennington install is more than likely correct, Dealer may not do many. I was looking at a Sub called "Bazooka" and the trouble shooting guide when it did not work correctly, talked about an install (of the regular speakers) that was out done out of phase. (Remember the little raised rib on speaker wire or black/white wire. It needed to go to the same terminal on each speaker or they would be out of phase) Not that this is your issue but a simple oversight or error. Consider looking at the Radio's website and ask their customer service for some suggestions. That Sub looks cool but more $$$ than I want to spend. Good Luck.

I just got my new Bennington yesterday, I am noticing that the subwoofer is working, but doesn't produce a lot of base. I turned the sub volume all the way up, and its still lacking. I am guessing they do not adjust the gain on the amplifier at all when then install? I was going to adjust it, but when I looked at the amp, they installed it so those controls are under the helm, in towards the starboard wall of the boat. Kind of stupid because now I cant get to the adjustment knobs easily...going to have to un screw the amp from the sub box, flip it around and then reinstall it.

I've had some issues with my amp not even turning on. When I tested the wires with my multimeter I determined the blue 'rem' cable wasn't pushing enough volts to trigger the amp to turn on. Assuming this is a receiver issue with the Rockford. In the meantime, I just jumped a small cable from the rem port to the 12v. This at least keeps it on whenever the battery is on (just have to make sure I always turn the battery off at end of day).

As for adjusting the amp, mine has those adjustment tabs pointing out, which I believe is correct, but all the knobs are covered by a sticker that will void warranty if removed. The only one I have access too is 'Hi/Lo'. You may want to try changing that as one produces much more bass than the other. You can see below the area in red is covered by a sticker but you can change the green button from Hi/Lo. Hope this helps! I plan on having the dealer check everything and most likely get a replacement PMX2 when I get my 20 hour service.

1635176274648.png

Back