RPM effects with different pitchs

I would.

I am new to the pontoon boat world, having come from the high perf deck boat world, so I may not fully understand things here. However, from where I came, props were far from an exact science. The dealer I ordered my boat from claims they are doing alot of water testing on the 300 verado and hope to have it all dialed in before my boat is delivered. I hope so, but we shall see. He knows what I expect.  All I want is to be able to run my motor to just shy of the rev limiter. I do not want to bounce off the limiter. If I am more than 300rpm below the limiter I may consider a different prop. But in the same accord one has to take into account the weather, water conditions, how loaded the boat is, holeshot and midrange. In essence, I will wait to get familiar with my boat before I make any changes. Of course if it will not turn 4000 rpm's then we have an issue.

When different props were tested on our speed boats, we were lucky to have lots of props to borrow from one another. Maybe it is different here. Many of my compadres are selling their speed boats and getting pontoons. Hence, I hope to have a body of knowledge and extra props to test if need be.

When I got my last boat, I thought there had to be something wrong with it. On my best day I could run 73MPH on GPS with Bimini up and hitting the rev limiter (5300rpm). Yet, people on forums were claiming to run 85 with the same boat and motor and even with a smaller motor. I used the slip calculator and my prop was perfect. The boat ran great. So why was I going so slow compared to others? I decided to try a bigger prop. My best prop was a 24, so I decided to get a 26 and have it labbed. This had to be the answer, even though I had tried a stock 26 and wasn't impressed. My rpms came down to 4900 and my top end came down to 69. Maybe the temp was too high or the stars didn't line up. The boat was sluggish coming out of the hole had good mid range but lost top end. My slip ratio was not as good as the 24. Moral of the story is I spent alot of money for nothing and there is more to being correctly proped than just top end. How one trims is important as is the overall responsiveness.

Lastly, I ran into a few of the characters who claimed to do 85. They had pictures of themselves and their boats on the forum so I knew who they were. When the flag drops, the BS stops. Not one of them pulled away from me and most I walked away from, so they were only doing in the high 60's.

In conclusion, I may be way out of line here. If so, I am sorry. Yes, it is important to dial in the prop, trim, and height. But once it is done, enjoy the ride. Now with that said, I hope I can follow my advice as I always modify anything that has a motor. When do we start discussing modifying the ECM's. B)

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

When do we start discussing modifying the ECM's. B)

Cheers, Steve
With the V-Rod it's pretty much Simon Motorsports, however the 300 is near the upper limit already (~315hp) without internal changes that you'd see in the 350sci. You're probably better off with a setback/jack plate that would balance the boat better and provide cleaner water for the prop, though Bennington does not approve their use in general so you're on your own.

It has been trial and error for sure and no 2 boats are the same. Chek with your dealers parts dept. I paid a little more but they are allowing me to swap out.

I tried up to a 18 similar to TomS but the perf dropped. I liked what the 17 felt like overall but I love to carve and bank my boat hard and was slipping out too much.

I'm down to 16 which is up from a 15. It's ok but I am seriously looking at a hydraulic jack system as I think this boat can cut even harder.

Back