RPM seems to have dropped lately

Steve21slx

Reaction score
I have an F90 but of course i did not get my prop size but anyway it seems that I have lost some RPMS. I was hitting around 5300-5400 then it dropped to 5200 and now it seems I am running at 5000 RPM right now or at least that was yesterday. It has about 90 hours on it and it is on a 21 SLX. Saturday we had 6 people on it and was hitting about 4800 which I understand but yesterday it was just my wife and I plus the dogs and it seemed it was only hitting 5100 if that. The prop has a couple dings but it also seems the throttle does not do anything when you get about an inch away from WOT. Wondering if maybe something is wrong or it needs adjustment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, I've noticed the same with mine. It seems that the throttle tops out in the last 1" - 1.5" from the top of travel. Mine was doing 27 - 28 MPH last year, but this year, it's around 24 - 25 MPH. ???

You may have picked up some "extra weight".  Did you happen to hit anything with your pontoons that might have taken on some water?  If you can, do a walk-around inspection of your pontoons.  If the boat is on a trailer, give it a good shake and listen to see if you can hear any water sloshing in the toons.

The obvious first thought is build up or growth, if the toons are clean double check the prop for damage as that could be it too. As Tc has suggested any water in the toons would also do the same.

Hmm thinking of extra weight I did add a trolling motor and battery which I would imagine would be a 100 lb's or so abd could explain some of it I imagine.  I hope it's not water in the toons that would not be good. I do look at the toons often and have never noticed anything obvious. Also the toons do have some river water film on them. I amn also thinking prop because it does have a few dings in it. I guess maybe a combination of things could be the cause. Maybe I will go out with out the trolling motor and battery and see what happens then work from there. Thanks for the ideas.

Back