Rubberized deck flooring

peggiep4

Reaction score
Hello. Our used 2016 20SL has a rubberized finish on the deck which us pretty worn in several places. It's also pretty dirty in the little crevices. I've tried Awesome cleaner and a scrub brush but it barely touches it. I've noticed when I cleaned by the captain chair, little slivers of the flooring material came off. Any recommendations? Also, is it possible to resurface the floor by oneself?

Hello. Our used 2016 20SL has a rubberized finish on the deck which us pretty worn in several places. It's also pretty dirty in the little crevices. I've tried Awesome cleaner and a scrub brush but it barely touches it. I've noticed when I cleaned by the captain chair, little slivers of the flooring material came off. Any recommendations? Also, is it possible to resurface the floor by oneself?
Is it more from neglect or environment, or something else prematurely going bad? Your 2016 should still be under warranty. No guarantees as it depends on what’s causing the ware and damage, but perhaps at least looking into as a possible warranty issue.

I have seen pictures and reports of people that redo their flooring on much older pontoons. Flooring goes down first, then everything else is put on top of it. So doing it right involves stripping everything off the deck of the boat (furniture, helm, possibly fencing, old flooring. Then sanding the glues and what not off the marine grade plywood base that had held the old flooring in place.

Then one uses the proper glue and puts on the new flooring. Once dry and set, you reinstall fencing, furniture, helm, etc… Always looked to be a monster job. The type that would cause me to just sell and buy another pontoon. But some are handy and love those sorts of big scale projects.

First...gotta say that I LOVE your Spartan icon (MSU Alum here). We bought the boat used but know the warranty transfers with the craft. Didn't think about it being a warranty issue.

Got pics?!? I was going to recommend 2 things. The 1st was the Awesome cleaner you already tried. That must be a dirty floor because that stuff is magic on vinyl rubberized flooring (Weathertech mats) , carpet, anything plastic, laundry stain remover, etc. I've used it on my seagrass flooring. I always have bottles of that stuff around the garage! For really stubborn stains spray full strength on the area and let it soak in then spray it again and either wipe or brush it off. My 2nd suggestion is to power wash it. But if you said that little slivers are coming off that might not be a good idea. I would still try it and be super careful. Like Vikingstaff said a total floor replacement is no easy job for the DIYer. A couple years ago we contemplated changing the carpet out on our old Bennington to a vinyl Seagrass flooring. We found a guy here that does it in the off season and it was a $2000+ job. Everything comes off the deck! No easy task to remove the furniture. But it would be a worthwhile investment if you plan on keeping the boat for years to come......

Back