Saltwater Trolling Motor Options?

ch32

Reaction score
We have a 2018 20SFX which is a fishing model, and we would like to add a trolling motor to the boat, which will be used in saltwater, so it will need to be a saltwater model. We aren’t looking to spend a buttload on a trolling motor, however. We are looking at nothing over $1700. We have looked at the Minn Kota 70lb Saltwater hand control motor for around $850-900, but we do not know how the hand control would be on a pontoon, and how easy it would be. The Minn Kota Powerdrive 70lb seemed around 1300, and the saltwater Motorguides seemed too pricey. If anyone has any recommendations, that would be greatly appreciated!

I have the minn kota terrova 112lb with ipilot. It’s outside your budget but believe me you don’t want a hand control. Being that you’re on saltwater that means tidal changes and current which is where the spot lock feature with ipilot is a game changer.

I have the minn kota terrova 112lb with ipilot. It’s outside your budget but believe me you don’t want a hand control. Being that you’re on saltwater that means tidal changes and current which is where the spot lock feature with ipilot is a game changer.
So for example, it would be worth it to go with an 80lb Powerdrive with iPilot for around 1700 versus a hand control for around 1300? We don’t want to do copilot and would like the spot lock, just seeing how worth it it is to spend a little more.

It is TOTALLY worth the extra cost! One of our sons has put different models of a Terrova on both the CC's he has owned (salt water use). Doubt he will ever own a boat without one (or an equivalent) again.

I'm not in saltwater but I have a Minnkota Ulterra on mine. Spot lock, remote control, and auto-deploy is, to me, worth every penny.

I'm running a Terrova with spot lock. The cost of the unit and the install hurt up front, but I feel it was worth it in the end. A couple of weekends ago, we used the spot lock feature to anchor the boat in a nice spot while we hung out and enjoyed the spring weather on the lake. It's also nice to keep the boat in one spot while I'm helping my kids rig up their fishing rods.

IMG_3666.jpeg

Get the ipilot. We use it for watching fireworks on the 4th and it’s nice to be able to easily move around if some other boats start getting too close. Just a lush of a button on the remote vs pulling an anchor and resetting

Back