Saying Good Bye For Now

highpond

Reaction score
So, You think Bennington's hold their value. It may be, but the dealer has had mine since the second week in April on concession  It's still there. I'm not asking anymore than book. The boat buying season for 2016 use is about gone. Talk about frustration. I had hoped to just RV this summer this peace of mind.  At this rate I maybe back regularly on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer still has his 2015 demo ,selling below his cost . 

Sorry about your frustration. My experience with a dealer selling anything on "Consignment" is that they never seem to be very interested selling that item. If you are asking for Book Value, or close to it, by the time the dealer adds what he wants to make on the deal, the price is too high. And if he doesn't add a lot, then he won't make a lot, and "bingo" there goes his efforts at selling it. I've experienced this both from the buying and selling side of things. 

Throw it on Craigslist your self and  get ready to have your phone ring 24/7. 

Agree. We've sold a bunch of stuff on Craigslist over the years. Our first boat/bow rider, my wife's convertible, my daughters motorcycle. It's worth a shot!

Absolutely agree about the don't sell through the dealer only. Hopefully,you don't have some agreement that keeps you from listing the boat on Craigslist. For that matter, also list it on Ebay. I'm always looking for stuff on both and I'm not alone. Good Luck! ;)

Our dealer just sold a customers boat in a week. Granted, it was priced "right" but it wasn't a steal either. 

My experience, and I have a lot of it now, is when selling a high ticket item privately, you are going to run into frustrations unless you price it well below your comfort level.  It took me 1/2 a year to sell my 2013 R Class and not give it away.  Consignment only works when the dealer would be satisfied with 2 to 5 percent.  Most want 10 percent or more. If you're going to consign, find a friendly, well liked, local boat broker (yes they do exist) who advertises on Boattrader, and let them consign it, if they're rake is fair.

The thing I discovered about shoppers for high ticket used items is that they'll trust a dealer much more than a private party.  Dealers can also offer services you cannot (like financing). Shoppers also assume a dealer's service department crawled all over that boat on a "search and destroy all problems" mission.  Or maybe they picture oompa loompas singing while they slave away getting it ready for happy second home.  People also believe, and it's totally false and misguided, that they have some recourse if the used boat they buy turns out bad. Outside of warranty you don't even have that recourse on a NEW boat!  LOL!  Yes, an educated shopper can pick up a phone and arrange their own financing, and they see through that dealer "aura" (or even halo)  but people are lazy too and like the one stop shop.

This has been a record breaking banner year for boat sales but as someone pointed out there's still a lot of inventory that's starting to go stale.  I've even found new 2014s out there.  A lot of those boats are above $60k but I've seen a lot of S classes too in both 2015 and 2016 flavors.  If what you're selling is on any of those lists then you're in for an even tougher time.  The right buyer is out there.  It's about reaching them and about waiting. 

The funny thing about my situation, besides feeling like I made one massive mistake after another (a story for another thread) is that even though many shoppers and dealers tried to make me feel like I was expecting too much, I would have one hell of a time trying to buy my own boat for the so-called high price I sold it for - a very hard time.  As for book values, consider those only with some salt and I don't mean grain of salt - you want that big, chunky sea salt stuff or even road salt if you can find it.  Don't use the mag chloride though, you'll get sick (don't ask me how I know).

I've used Boattrader very successfully. Nautical is absolutely right that having it at a dealer opens up possibilities for financing, service, updates, etc that you can't offer easily as a seller. Pricing it closer to your target right off the bat is important too. Serious buyers usually respect that and don't try to waste your time. Last time we sold a ski boat, I worked it out that the dealer kept the boat and demo'd it through a trustworthy service/valet guy I know very well. I took the emails and calls and had most of the discussions with the buyers, but paid him T&M for his effort. In the end, it worked out very well for both of us.

For me I'd like to buy from the original owner and see how it is cared for etc vs from a dealer and hearing "it was owned by a gentle old lady who never beat on it" I sold out 2013 on Craigslist for what I paid for it. Had a backup buyer of the first fell through. 

Pricing it right is the key. We put my bow rider on Craigslist on a Wednesday afternoon. Had 3 calls by dinner time and showed it to the 1st caller on Thursday morning. After test driving it he offered us $750 less than our asking price but I told him that I had 2 more potential buyers waiting in case he didn't want it. We put the boat away and drove home. We planned to call the next person on the list but the 1st caller called back and took it at full price.....

Here in California Craig's list works great 

especially on a high end toon like bennington. Big K is right price is Key. People don't want to pay retail on C list. You have to have great pics and deal with a few would be scammers from time to time but it's all part of the deal. Way more people are gonna see your boat on Craig's list then at some dealer

Sold my boat on C-list in exactly one week last year. LIsted it on June 23rd, money in the bank June 30th. To me it's all about the "hook". When you write your listing. Then when they call, e-mail, or text, just use all the things you learned here and make it sound like you're giving away your daughter.

If you're looking to buy your last boat first. . .here it is, a true "turn key" boat package.
Along with the boat you'll get:
Covered slip at the marina for the remainder to 2015 season
Heritage Tandem Axle Trailer w/ Electric Brakes / Front Boarding Ladder
Trailering Cover , Life Jackets, fenders, motor cover, and towable.
Blah blah blah...

Thanks for all the advise. The boat is listed on C---- List as well as E-B--. Only 2 Bennington listed. I've had over 1600 lookers and 17 on the watch list.

The secret is to get the buyer that's close by and really interested. Yes the dealer is working with me, I've helped him out at Boat Shows and is ready to sell it. Right now he only has 2 new ones in stock, waiting for Bennington to tool up with the 2017.

Maybe this will be the week. As long as I 'm still paying the note and Ins. I took it out for a spin this week. It's still clean and runs like a top. 

Well the advise paid off. I did list in C---- list and * -Bay. After 2 weeks Benny has been sold and for the full amount. I'm not saying I'm through with boating or for that matter Bennington, it is still a GREAT BOAT. If the RVing becomes a hassle I may be back, but for now

I'll say enjoy your boats It is still a great way to relax and enjoy the outdoors

I've been camping...

You'll be back!!!

Seriously though, good luck with your new adventure. Stop in once in a while.

Congrats Highpond!  We'll see you in the future!

Perseverance pays off. Good luck in your adventures. Just cuz you don't have a boat doesn't mean you can't frequent the site. Ask me how I know.... :p

Back