Scratches on Pontoon

Rock n' Reel

Reaction score
Last summer we made a rookie mistake with our new, used Bennington :huh: . . . we went to a restaurant on the bay and docked in the assigned slips which was along a bulkhead and we didn't notice huge bolts sticking out at the pontoon level. With the rise of the tide and wind direction the right pontoon was scratched in two places.

Someone said there is a paint or something we should apply. Is this true? Do we need to do anything to treat [buff out??] the scratches? The bolts did not pierce the pontoons. The scratches are just ugly.

Last summer we made a rookie mistake with our new, used Bennington :huh: . . . we went to a restaurant on the bay and docked in the assigned slips which was along a bulkhead and we didn't notice huge bolts sticking out at the pontoon level. With the rise of the tide and wind direction the right pontoon was scratched in two places.

Someone said there is a paint or something we should apply. Is this true? Do we need to do anything to treat [buff out??] the scratches? The bolts did not pierce the pontoons. The scratches are just ugly.
Hello Rock n Reel. Not the expert on your question at all however not sure the depth of your scratches but perhaps a fine (0000) steel wool may buff your scrtches out.

If your scratches are deep enough that you can feel by dragging your finger nail across they may be to deep to buff out. Hope you find a good solution. I will be watches to see what others suggest.

Hi Rock & Reel, went to my welding shop for this answer...

If it is a scratch you can "feel", start with a rough sandpaper to remove as much of the scratch as possible, then gradually go down to a fine grit (600) to blend it with the rest of the tube. We use scuff pads at the plant, or you can use steel wool (0000) like DC mentioned. Good luck and be careful! TB

Hey Team Bennington, you mentioned scuff pads you use at the plant. Do you scuff the entire toon and is that what gives them the 'brushed' look? We would like to know exactly what those scuff pads are, if you don't mind. I think they would be great for touch up, or before applying a protective coating. :)

Thanks for all the input. I know I can feel the scratches so I better get some rough sandpaper ready. I agree with Geoffrey & Brenda -- it would be good to know what scuff pads should be used [better yet, what is a scuff pad?]. They also mentioned a protective coating. Is there a coating that needs to be applied to the Pontoons? If so, how often and when should it be applied?

Oh, and Team Bennington, thanks for the final "be careful" tip! Hopefully, I will remember it when I begin my scuffing . . . :D

Hey Rock n' Reel, When i said protective coating i was referring to Sharkhide, but didn't want to sound like a salesman. I think it's a good product, but you should check it out for yourself. There is a lot of info about it on the internet, just google Sharkhide protectant and read up on it. :)

For what it's worth...

There's not a thing on God's green earth you can do to keep your logs pretty forever.

Hey Rock n' Reel, When i said protective coating i was referring to Sharkhide, but didn't want to sound like a salesman. I think it's a good product, but you should check it out for yourself. There is a lot of info about it on the internet, just google Sharkhide protectant and read up on it. :)
Don't worry G&B, I wouldn't have thought you're a salesman for Sharkhide -- I have the utmost faith in Team Bennington and I'm sure they would have tossed out any random sales folk wandering through the Forum! :)

I bought my boat used last year [2003 207FS] and while everything is in good shape, the Pontoons are not shiny by any means and I don't think they will be in the future. And I'm not looking to flash anyone as I "speed" by with my Mercury 60hp motor! Now if I had the Harley Davidson themed pontoon with 350hp that's on our bay, maybe I'd be more particular about the Toons.

I was just wondering if there was some coating we should apply to protect the Pontoons annually.

Thanks ericscher for that dose of practicality! I agree. Shiny logs was not something I could get in a used boat. I negotiated for the new stereo instead :D

Back