Second thoughts

Eurospringer

Reaction score
We order a 2015 24 SCWX with a 90 Yamaha and we switch to a 150 Yamaha. To much motor for tubing?

There is never too much! The 90 would not have been enough. Our last boat had a 115 and we sold it to get a bigger boat that would handle a 200. A 150 will be great for tubing IMO. Now what about toon configuration? I have the sps and love it.

While we dont tube, we easily could.

Propping it proper with a SS prop will go as long way

I have a 21SLX with a 115.  In a strait line, tubing is perfect.  20-22 mph depending on the load in the boat and how many people on my 6 person tube.  Where it hurts is in the corners, speed drops to 16-18 range and just doesn't have to torque to whip it out of the wake.  I wish every day I would have went with the 150.

I believe the above replies have delivered "words of wisdom."

Cheers, Steve

While I don't have a Bennington (working on it though), I do have a 25ft pontoon.  Started out with a 90hp on it.  Worked just ok for pulling small kids on a tube, but even that wasn't great. Got a deal on a 115hp so I changed it.  The 115hp is better but really just not enough power for good tubing. Especially on turns, the speed drops too low to get people out of the wake unless they are small kids. But adults...forget about it.  Just not enough power to plow a 25ft pontoon dragging a 200lb person behind it.  Stick with the 150hp...you'll be very happy with that choice.

As far as toons. We got the twin Elliptical freshwater package, Sea star hydraulic. Getting excited should be here in two weeks. this is our first toon!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll love it and with the twin elipticals it will have some good top speed. Remember to post pictures when it comes in!

We used our tube "big mable" for the first time 2 weeks ago.  We had 4 adults on board and 2 teenagers on the tube and the 150 didn't break a sweat pulling the tube in a bit of chop out on the lake.  I wouldn't think tubing behind a 90 on our roughly 25 foot boat would be all that exciting.  Besides the 150 isn't that bad on fuel and has enough power to do pretty much anything that we want as normally it's just the 2 of us out cruising and relaxing.  If I was to do it all over again I would still go with the 150.....maybe a 200 just for a grin or two.

Thanks for the everybodys input. I feel better all ready can't wait for the toon.

I have a 21SLX with a 115. In a strait line, tubing is perfect. 20-22 mph depending on the load in the boat and how many people on my 6 person tube. Where it hurts is in the corners, speed drops to 16-18 range and just doesn't have to torque to whip it out of the wake. I wish every day I would have went with the 150.
This has been my experience EXACTLY. The 150 is like having two 115s on the back. Huge difference.

I have a 90 on my boat and it can't pull a tube fast enough to be exciting!  Someday I'll increase the horsepower, hopefully to a 150.

Pulled my nephew on the tube a while back and he kept wanting more speed which couldn't be found!

So are we going to see a wood sport tower soon?

So are we going to see a wood sport tower soon?
Actually, I had a set of wooden towers under consideration during the design phase, but later went with a commercial bimini to save time.  Who wooda thunk towers were going to become popular.

Here are some of the sketches that were added to the model and later rejected.  I was designing a cable-lifted hard top that would enclose the entire playpen, much like a pop-up camper.  The towers were to contain the telescopic legs.

I love your vision and creativity. Very cool

I'm just trying to figure out why you haven't put a little RC motor on the "model" boat!!!

WoodenPontoon, before you start building that wooden tower remember what it took to sew that bimini :)

I just purchased a 2011 2275gcw with a Yamaha 150 and twin elliptical tubes and have no problem throwing off an adult on a single tube, the boat has power to spare too. I think the steering is the worst part I have the baystar set up and after an hr or so of tubing you feel like you've been pumping iron! Go as big as possible if you want to do any kind of water sports.

I like your name Tip Sea. That would be a great boat name!! Glad to hear your happy with the 150 and helps establish that size motor as a great all around setup.

Thanks my wife came up with it, it is our boat name. With 2 kids and 2 adults full tank of fuel all the gear and 2 coolers we can run 39 mph in moderate chop I have seen 41mph in dead calm waters! these speeds are non gps though. I am very happy with the boat and its versatility.

Back