Seriously Considering a Cover

WoodenPontoon

Reaction score
I'm getting very close to attempting to sew a combination mooring/towing cover for my boat.  I ordered some fabric samples to help make a decision on a color scheme.  The fabric is currently on sale and there's an additional 10% off if I buy before the end of the month.

I have already bought tensioning poles and their vented tops.  I think I may need to order 1 more set.

I spent quite a bit of time on the boat yesterday taking measurements and then placing the poles on deck and tying them to the rails to show me what the tenting should look like.  I always like to get a good vision before I actually get started on  project.  According to my calculations, I am going to need 30 yards of 60" wide fabric.  After I get the panels sewn together, I should have about a 15' x 30' "blank"  to use for the fitting steps.

This is going to be a huge job!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I made seat covers last year out of Surlast--the same material used for Bennington OEM mooring covers.  With the heaviest needle possible and a heavy duty home sewing machine, it was like trying to stick a needle through a rock.  The resulting stitching was not pretty.

I had to do some hand sewing, and it took a set of wire pliers to get the needle to puncture the Duralast.  Also, special (and expensive) thread is required, and it's difficult to find except online.

Hope you have an upholstery sewing machine.

Good luck Dan! Piece of cake! What will Denise's role be in this project?!?

I applaud you!  This is a huge amount of work, but so is building a pontoon out of wood :eek:
Ditto the applaud to a true DIYer!  You da man!

I'd much rather be faced with building a pontoon out of wood than sewing the cover for it.  I never could get the hang of sewing.  Sewing is WAY harder than it looks.  Now that I think about it, there are very few things that piss me off more than trying to do a decent job sewing something.  Like Bama said, it's not pretty. 

fastmnstealth - thanks for the link.  I have actually watched that video 5 or 6 times.  It's because of it, that I feel confident enough to try it.

bamaman - I bought a used heavy duty sewing machine last spring.  I used it to make a pair of biminis and a bimini boot last year with sunbrella fabric.  It did not have too many issues with the tasks.

Dail - Denise will likely have very little to do with the cover.  I'm sure that will be my project completely.

KayDanno - Thanks for the encouragement.  Sewing is just another thing for me to learn, or at least try to!

Well, I have ordered the fabric, which should be in next week.

The link to the Sailrite video has made me think this will be a possible task.

I'll post some pictures as I go.

Wooden Pontoon you are most certainly the Master of DIY

Back