Shallow water choices -Ellipticals?

Lake Farm

Reaction score
In the process of buying a 21SSBXP with extended swim platform. We have some very shallow water getting to our dock, 18" or less if dry summer. Old boat was 20' with 60 hp Mercury Bigfoot with no problems. Originally going for standard 25" pontoons and 60 hp CT. Thinking this boat is heavier than old one plus gas tank in transom vs further ahead on old boat. Got me to thinking about the elliptical option and then possibility of putting a 90 or 115 CT. Any thoughts on draft differences? Also curious about strakes or performance package on Ellipticals vs plain? When do you need to add hydraulic steering? I'm guessing the Express tube package will sit as low in back as the standard 2 tubes. Thanks for any input or recommendations you can provide!

Welcome! I think that the Ellipticals will actually sit lower in the water than if you went with ESP or SPS. Stay with us there will be members that will give some real advice.

The ellipticals have 1000lb additional bouyance over the 25" 2 toon setup. I will measure from the water line mark to the bottom of the keel later today. Get the performance package, we have it. The Ellip's are a great package BUT know the difference in handling. They are not designed for watersports. They will work but not as well as a 3 toon.

Ok, thanks. Water sports not a big deal for us, but would like to run faster than a 60hp with std toons and still get in shallow water. What sold you on the Ellips?

Last edited:
When we fish in Canada with family we can have 12 people on the boat. The extra bouyance and just 2 toons makes for a very stable boat with that many people moving around. Most of the time the weight is not even side to side and the larger toon helps level the boat. For a fishing toon, the Ellips make lots of sense.

Thanks for the information. Were you able to measure the water line on your boat? I was told by a Bennington person the Ellips will sit approx. 2" higher in the water than the std. 2 - 25" tubes. Needing about 12" of water to float Ellips and 14" with normal tubes with a light load.

Thanks for the information. Were you able to measure the water line on your boat? I was told by a Bennington person the Ellips will sit approx. 2" higher in the water than the std. 2 - 25" tubes. Needing about 12" of water to float Ellips and 14" with normal tubes with a light load.
Did they give you info on EPS or SPS water depth ? Curious Thanks!

He did not. The ESP isn't offered in SXP. The SPS is out of my price range so I didn't ask specifically. I asked if Express sat lower in back than 2 tube since extra flotation in front. He said draft on Express nearly same as 2 tube. I looked back at his original email and it said Ellips sit approx 2" higher than 2-25" tubes or a center pontoon. He said the twin Ellips are the best hull they offer for shallow water.

He did not. The ESP isn't offered in SXP. The SPS is out of my price range so I didn't ask specifically. I asked if Express sat lower in back than 2 tube since extra flotation in front. He said draft on Express nearly same as 2 tube. I looked back at his original email and it said Ellips sit approx 2" higher than 2-25" tubes or a center pontoon. He said the twin Ellips are the best hull they offer for shallow water.
I was the first one to respond to your post and gave you wrong info.Sorry ! My first Bennington had Ellips and I thought it sat lower than My 2 tube and my SPS. Thanks for the information !

My understanding is Ellips are best for both shallow water (least draft) and supporting the most weight. Just the big trade off on turn based handling. Nice option for the right body of water and the right type of use.

Simple physics, with same weight, an elliptical has more surface area to displace same amount of weight, so less draft.

Volume. Semantics.;)

For the OP... Ellipticals with strakes is the fastest hull Bennington makes. Turns as bad as a dragster too.

Area of a 25 inch circle (tube) is 490 square inches.

Area of a 25x32 inch ellipse is 620 square inches.

That's surface area, but volume would be in the same proportion.

Three pontoons of equal length would have more buoyancy than ellipticals, but also more weight...

Three pontoons have a center toon that's a pivot point from side to side. Ellipticals are like outriggers, and would be more stable from side to side, but will not bank in a turn like three pontoons and won't carve through the water in a turn like 3 pontoons would.

Strakes on ellipticals provide a lot of surface area to get up on plane and achieve high speed. SPS fins are more for carving in turns. So, it makes sense the ellipticals are faster, and SPS and ESP corner better.

If there was one hull that did it all, there wouldn't be so many options.

You're welcome Gilligan.

Back