Shopping in Cajun Counrty

Boarider

Reaction score
Enough surffing time to step in.

New want to be member here in Cajun Country. Been looking over Pontoon boats for a couple months now and it seems Bennington is has the most of what I want.

My wife and I thought we found what we wanted on a lot at out local dealer (2015 22 SLX w/115). It has a lot of extras that we really didn't care for but would get it if the price is right, then I found the Bennington build site (let the fun begin, Like a kid with a toy magazine).  Ended up liking the SSRX model more and with a few hours reading on here I got the price up to around $45K MSRP.

Now I know they shave a little off that and that changes from dealership to dealership.

We are in no big hurry to buy, just want to find the best dealership and time to buy. Anybody know any higher volume dealership with good reputation that might be able to work out the best discount on a new build?  I'd be willing to go three or four hours travel to buy ( I feel with a new build and the rep of Bennington I should have to go back for to much warranty work).

So from Houston to Mississippi gulf coat up to Shreveport,LA.

2015 22 SSRX with 150 (thanks forum).

Elliptical Saltwater package or Express Performance, still on the fence here but will carry  5 or 6 people with a splash of tubing here and there.

So 1500 miles one way might be too far? Hehe, I'm just astonished at our Canadian dollar right now, it sucks. I think it fell to around $0.78 yesterday!  Too bad, my dealer has a great price on a non current RLCP! I'm just happy that I bought my tower model when I did or I probably couldn't have got it! 

I did all of that... I am putting my new boat in the water today. I purchased it a few months back. I sold my first Bennington which I purchased it used not knowing any thing about pontoon boats. I then realized this was the brand I wanted. If you build a boat on the site use the zip code of a dealer you want to price and then the dealer receives the build to price the order. I shopped from Shreveport, Houma, Mississippi, bougalosa. The Shreveport dealer was the best on price by very little but he was not worth the drive. The Mississippi dealer told me lots about the options but was not good on the price. The Houma dealer was a joke. He has a boat in stock, the only Bennington , that was so close but he would not deal. He still has it. I think it is a 14 model. Bridget from dockside in bougalousa was the best. She had a really good price from the start I never had to haggle. I built the boat up almost 20 times playing with different options. She is the best and most honest. It is a shame because the Houma dealer is only 45 minutes from me. He still has the boat for sale on sports man. I am in the automobile business and I understand the game and I was straight up with all of them.

Has anyone played with the idea of getting the boat prerigged and buy the motor somewhere else? 

I hate wasting peoples time, but I think I have the layout I want if the price is right. But like I said I'm in no hurry so I'd like to catch the market when its soft. Only thing is I need a 2015 for the wrap around bow seating (with gate seat).

I can't help you with your questions but wanted to welcome you aboard. We bought our boat quite a while ago (2006) and it only took 3 days. Although with the engine question, you can get a better deal if it's purchased with the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Has anyone played with the idea of getting the boat prerigged and buy the motor somewhere else? 

I hate wasting peoples time, but I think I have the layout I want if the price is right. But like I said I'm in no hurry so I'd like to catch the market when its soft. Only thing is I need a 2015 for the wrap around bow seating (with gate seat).
Boat manufacturers purchase motors in bulk, and they pass on fleet pricing to their dealers.  For example, the biggest buyer of Yamaha outboards is Bennington pontoons.  When dealers purchase outboards from Yamaha or Mercury directly, the price is higher than if they bought the boat with the engine from Bennington.

I did this on my first pontoon and it was not a pleasant experience. The dealer who sold me the motor didn't want to rig it on a pontoon they didn't sell and the dealer for the pontoon didn't want to because they'd never seen or sold a Honda outboard before. It was when they first came on the market. They also didn't want to service it as the only dealer on our lake, though they later took on the Honda line and sold a ton of them. As Bama said, it's a better deal to get them together for obvious reasons.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Coming out of left field here, If I find left over stock (2014/2013) does the Bennington Warranty start from when I buy the boat for 7 yrs?

Coming out of left field here, If I find left over stock (2014/2013) does the Bennington Warranty start from when I buy the boat for 7 yrs?
As long as it hasn't been titled, then yes, but verify with your dealer.

REMEMBER: Our 7 Year warranty is available on any 2012 model registered on or after August 6, 2012 and on all 2013 or newer models.  If your boat qualifies, click the registration button below and fill out the form to confirm your extended warranty coverage.

You have to register the boat here http://www.clubbennington.com/#!form/c1ec9 for the 7 year warranty. The dealer does not necessarily do it.

So it seems I found a 2013 leftover, not the model I wanted or options, but can make do.  It has options that I'd like but didn't want to pay for on a new build.

So playing with the numbers, its about 32% off a 2015 new build of the same model and options from the build site.

Think I should lowball an offer or is 32% on par ?

So it seems I found a 2013 leftover, not the model I wanted or options, but can make do.  It has options that I'd like but didn't want to pay for on a new build.

So playing with the numbers, its about 32% off a 2015 new build of the same model and options from the build site.

Think I should lowball an offer or is 32% on par ?
The worst that can happen is that they'll say NO.

Lots of people have reported getting upper 20s percentage off MSRP on a brand new current-year model boat.  Of course that depends on lots of factors, but I would say 32% is not out of reason.  I might start by offering 40% less than MSRP if it's 2 years old (but new).

When do they start rolling out the 2016s ? Might be able to throw that out there also (3yr old boat, build date is 12/12) when I talk to them.

When do they start rolling out the 2016s ? Might be able to throw that out there also (3yr old boat, build date is 12/12) when I talk to them.
End of June.

Thought I had a chance on the 40% off, salesman emailed me today to see if I was still interested in it (they are closed on Monday). Threw it out there but sticking to his first price. See if he'll throw some extras in.

A quick thought from some guy who negotiates for a living...

Couple of rules of thumb I always follow. I always keep the negotiations on the level of a partnership. If ever I feel like I'm in an adversarial negotiation, I always walk away. If that happens, I've chosen the wrong person to do business with.

It's a partnership on several levels. When I buy, I have money and the seller has product. I want to have the product and the seller wants to have my money. Good partnership basis right there.

Second level - especially when I buy a big ticket item - I am going to need that dealer in the future - a lot. I value that relationship and will pay for it gladly. And conversely, the dealer needs me to be pleased with the entire contract as I have the ability to affect future sales of his/her product to other people. Another great partnership basis.

Finally - when a dealer gives me their first price, and I respond with my first price - no matter how big or small the difference, I don't give another price until the dealer gives me a secondary offer. 

Keeping it light and fun and professional - if the dealer just comes back with his first price a second time...I just reply as I respectfully end the conversation - "will you keep me in mind and let me know if your price changes at all?"

That last line tends to get the wheels of commerce back on the track and rolling again. 

Once a dealer comes back with a new offer - then the tables are reversed. Then...I'm the one who has to take my turn at the plate. I always try to enforce and respect that negotiations are two sided partnerships toward the same goal...and both sides absolutely have to take turns.

I totally agree with you Jeffs, I feel the only way to handle it is  professional and with due respect on both sides. I never came back with another offer, just asked for his best price so I could help him make room on his lot for the 2016s where he replyed he was already bleeding now.

I feel I'm in a good spot on this deal, because its not even the model I was looking to get and he knows (I sent him a build sheet). I can take it or leave it, but it does have some nice options on it for the price. Also with him emailing me even when his store is closed makes me think he's ready to sell. I might just let them do a credit check and leave it at that for a little while, show him that I have the funds and I'm not just wasting his time (I'm sure they get that a lot with emails).

I'd be taking a gamble anyway buying from him, He's 4 hours away if I did need warranty work.

You have to make him think you might buy a boat from someone else...

If it's between the boat he has, and one he'd order for you, he gets your cash either way.  He has to think he's going to LOSE you before the price comes down.  Just my 2 cents.  You know the situation far better than I do.  Just a suggestion that that might be what's going on here.

Back