ShoreStation 5000lb Hydraulic - Some assembly required!

fastmnstealth

Reaction score
My new pontoon was too big for my 3600 Vibo cantilever lift.  My boat is a 2350RSR, ESP, center fuel, dual battery and F300.  It should come in about 4200lbs.  I wanted a little margin, so was looking at the 5000lb lifts.  ShoreStation, Floe, ShoreMaster, Porta Dock and Hewitt were all looked at.  I liked the incredible build of the ShoreStation. 

I decided on the ShoreStation lift and picked it up in anticipation of early April iceout and pontoon arrival.  I also decided to purchase it as "cash and carry" vs a package deal where the dealer assembles, delivers and installs.  This means I need to haul, assemble and install.  It was worth it to me because I saved literally thousands of dollars.

• ShoreStation Model:  FlexPower Hydraulic SS-V5120HS (12V, solar panel, wireless remotes, pontoon log rack and center support)
  • Canopy frame:  30' x 120"
  • Canopy cover:  At this point undecided.  I'm working with a shop in Indiana that actually came back with good pricing on a custom Sunbrella cover with longer drop sides.  If I don't go that route, it'll be the standard 18" drop side ShoreStation vinyl cover
  • 4 - Smarte Jacks http://smartejack.com/smartejack.html

I got it from Hallberg Marine in Wyoming, MN.  They were great to work with, clarified options, provided assembly tips and got it all loaded up on my trailer.  I brought it up to the cabin this weekend.  I will not start assembly until next weekend and figured I'd create a thread to chronicle the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool topic. Thanks.

Looks like fun. Like playing with an Erector Set.   :D

I'm curious to see how this goes. Have thought about getting a lift to keep boat up out of water. Our lake is usually quiet so don't need it for wave/wind action. Hope it goes smooth for you!

Looks like fun. Like playing with an Erector Set.   :D
All you young people be careful when you Google this, for a minute I thought Carl was into the kinky stuff! Hehe

This should be fun!

I saw them assembling my ShoreStation in a heated shop. 3 guys with hydraulic jacks, overhead hoist, air tools, etc. made it look a lot easier than it was.

This should be fun!

I saw them assembling my ShoreStation in a heated shop. 3 guys with hydraulic jacks, overhead hoist, air tools, etc. made it look a lot easier than it was.
No wonder they are so damn expensive :).  I plan on doing it on our concrete pad in front of the garage with my daughter (I won't ask my wife <_< ), my Dewalt 1/4" cordless impact driver (my new favorite tool), misc hand tools, ratchet strap to lift and hold the heavy ass winch tube, and of course a 6 pack!

Of course, we all know..."no battle plan ever survives the first shot" LOL

I made some great progress this weekend.  It was unfortunately cold (30deg Saturday).  Sun was out for a while, which helped, but it clouded up in the afternoon and it got pretty cold.

It was pretty straight forward.  The instructions were great (with a few exceptions-pics could have been more details or updated to represent current model).  The most difficult part was elevating the hydraulic cylinder tube.  It was probably 200lbs by itself.  I used a ladder to get it close and some ratchet straps to put it in its final position.

I was able to power it up and run the cradle up/down a few times.  It works great and is very fast (of course it is unloaded).

I've a couple of large washers left over.  They are 2" in diameter (5/8" hole) and 3/16" thick.   Instructions didn't call them out and there were only two.  Picture Below

There is also an amber light (3/4" in diameter) coming out of the controller on a ~24" lead.  I don't know what it is for.  Nothing in the book.  Does anybody know what this is for? Picture Below

I also don't quite understand the cover for the hydraulics/controller.  It doesn't just slide over everything.  It seems like you need to pull the sides apart to get it over the pump.  Maybe because it was so cold, but it could spread easily and I didn't want to break it.  I just put a bag over everything for now.  I'll put it on when it is warmer.

I got the Smarte Wheel kits installed.  They are really nice and the 800lb lift moves very easy on them. 

I got the pontoon log rack installed.  Will need to finalize locations when I have the boat.  I still need to install the center bunks, but can't do that until I have the boat since the center log is different size.

I also need to build the canopy.  I'll be ordering the fabric on Monday.  I'm getting it from Larry's Canvas in Indiana.  Same design as TomS (Sunbrella fabric, 3' drop sides).  I'm going with "Heather Beige" color

Looks good! No bunks for the center toon?

Looks good! No bunks for the center toon?
Yeah, I have them.  I can't fit them without the boat though.  I'll get them assembled and adjust after the boat is of the lift.

All three of the lift dealers I talked with looked at me funny when I told them I wanted bunks for the center toon.  Most/all of the their customers never support the center toon.  I called Bennington and they recommended it, but didn't say I would void warranty if I didn't support the center toon.  It is probably most important on a trailer.

I figured with all that fuel and HP it would be a good idea! That would be an odd place to cheap out after what you've shelled out already!

Very nice!

The light is for programming feedback. I'm not fond of the pump cover either as it's a pita to get on and off. It's just a clamshell structure. Spread the sides and slide it carefully over the top of the pump, then tighten the 2 straps and you're good. Mine stays on without the straps anyway.

May I ask you what you paid for this....doing it cash and carry?  If you don't want to publically post it you could message me directly on here.  I would love a hoist like this for mine but man I just don't want to spend the $$$$$ they typically cost.

May I ask you what you paid for this....doing it cash and carry?  If you don't want to publically post it you could message me directly on here.  I would love a hoist like this for mine but man I just don't want to spend the $$$$$ they typically cost.
I don't mind sharing.  $9918 + Tax (Lift, Canopy Frame, Log rack, center bunk, solar panel, remotes, batter box)

More info on cost in the following post:  http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/4441-boat-lift-recommendations-please/page-2#entry60866

I ended up going with a custom canopy from Larry's Canvas in LaGrange IN.  This is a SunBrella fabric with 3' drop sides.

I bought the canopy frame for $1770 (normally $2550 with shorestation vinyl) and spent $1657 shipped ($48 shipping).  This canopy is going to be much nicer than the shorestation one. 

I also bought the Smarte wheel kit.  These were ~$370 per pair with wheels ($740).

So, in total:  $9918 + $1657 (custom canopy cover) + $740 (wheel kit) = $12315 + tax

It adds up fast, but this is the best of the best.  The thing is a BEAST.  You could also get the EDS (electric winch) version of lift for $1500 cheaper and the shorestation canopy and minus the wheels.  You'd be around $9K for the next best lift IMO.

Of course this is assuming that you can get a decent cash and carry deal.  I bought from Hallberg Marine in Wyoming, MN.  Two other dealers didn't wan't to do a C&C deal (or didn't give me much of a discount)

Mark

Of course this is assuming that you can get a decent cash and carry deal.  I bought from Hallberg Marine in Wyoming, MN.  Two other dealers didn't wan't to do a C&C deal (or didn't give me much of a discount)

Mark
Generally I'd say you aren't going to get a deal quite like that unless it's a boat show special (15-20%) or there are other circumstances. Even the internet sellers are a bit higher, so Mark got a terrific deal.

One thing to watch out for if you consider an online seller is service. Ours had a different issue each of the last 2 seasons, both things I couldn't possibly fix myself, though I'm pretty handy. My dealer was here within a day from 20 miles away, ordered parts, and fixed them no questions asked. As Mark said, these things are beasts, so not the easiest thing to work on, especially if it's in the water. My guys bring a pontoon platform rigged with hydraulic arms to tweak it, so it's a bit simpler for them ;-)

Nice job Mark.  I'm glad it worked out for you as it did. 

As far as the canopy goes.  Did you look at the SeaMark material at all?  They say it is vinyl on the underside with Sunbrella fabric on the exterior.  Just curious.

Mike

Nice job Mark.  I'm glad it worked out for you as it did. 

As far as the canopy goes.  Did you look at the SeaMark material at all?  They say it is vinyl on the underside with Sunbrella fabric on the exterior.  Just curious.

Mike
I did look at it, but it is probably 50% more expensive.  It is also significantly heavier.  30' by 10' is A LOT of material.

What Larry's Canvas does is put vinyl on the sides to had some weight so it doesn't blow around like a light fabric.  There are also loops to tie the sides to the posts (via ropes and shock cord) to keep them from flapping.  TomS actually had light weight chains sewn into the end fabric for when it gets really winds (just some added protection from flapping).  I won't have that problem on my lake.  No big winds like that unless there is a isolated severe storm.

Very nice!

The light is for programming feedback. I'm not fond of the pump cover either as it's a pita to get on and off. It's just a clamshell structure. Spread the sides and slide it carefully over the top of the pump, then tighten the 2 straps and you're good. Mine stays on without the straps anyway.
Ok...makes sense now.  Where is your's mounted?  I don't seem to have a spot for it.  Is it just wire tied in a convient place or is there a spot designated for it?  I'll give the cover another shot when it is warmer.  It will likely deform easier..

Ok...makes sense now.  Where is your's mounted?  I don't seem to have a spot for it.  Is it just wire tied in a convient place or is there a spot designated for it?  I'll give the cover another shot when it is warmer.  It will likely deform easier..
I velcro'd mine to the battery box cover so I could see it.

Back