Should We Be On The Same Page ??

Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
The continuing saga ...........

As anticipated accumulating 20 hours on the Yamaha doesn't take long

I am very close and going to my dealer for the check up ... oil change etc is not in the cards

So

I called the other Bennington Dealer he is 3 weeks out on Maintenance 

He suggested I call any Yamaha service center to complete work in timely manner

Called another Marina which does not carry Bennington but does service and sell Yamaha

A TRUE Yamaha Certified Dealer 

Was told not to worry about the 20 hour check up

It is just a quick visual inspection of propeller and oil level

Taking a quick look at oil to see if there are any metal fragments in engine 

No need to bring it in 

You can do that yourself

Oil isn't change till the first 100 hours 

No sense in wasting the gas and paying for a 20 hour check up when you can do it yourself 

WHAT ?

I called Yamaha and was told the 20 hour service was imperative

An oil change and new filter is a must and a computer read out of the engine was in order

They were surprised on the response from their authorized dealer

Insanity is everywhere

I will get the service check at the other Bennington Dealer 

SAD !

107483406.jpg

The marina where I keep mine is not a Bennington dealer ,but he is an authorized Mercury dealer . He did my checked ups & oil changes last season and I will have him do it again this season .

Personally, I do not think you need a "Certified" Yamaha dealer to do the oil change.  My boat's yearly service is done by a local off shore marina where I store my boat who is not certified, I gave him a copy of my Yamaha manual.  If you feel you want to use Yamaha parts [oil and water separator] you can buy them on line and have them shipped to the marina.  Granted if I had a large problem I would haul the boat back to where I bought it over an hour away.  Find someone local that you have a good feeling about Pittsburgh

If all else fails, do it yourself.  Save receipts, maybe take a photo while doing it.  I don't know about Yamaha for sure, but the Mercury factory told me it was okay to do this, just retain "proof".  My local Mercury dealer said the same thing.  Pretty sure I have all of it in emails, so in writing.

Again, if all else fails.  I would do that vs letting my boat sit for several weeks.

I'm a hundred miles from my dealer, and I'll be doing my 20 hour service myself. I bought the filter, lube and oil from the dealer when I picked up the boat. I'll make an appointment during the winter and pull it over to him for the annual service and have him thoroughly check it out. Not a big deal to do the 20 hr service, just keep the receipts.

Good point. If you buy the supplies from your dealer who's too busy to get to it, you should have less of a warranty issue trying to prove you did it yourself. Excellent point CT.

I don't want to pay $200-$300-$400 for a maintenance checkup that's essentially an oil change and changing the lower unit grease @ 20 hours.  It's very easy for an owner follow a checklist in the owner's manual and do minor maintenance.

I bought the oil, filter and lower unit grease something like $28, and it took me 30 minutes to do the job.  Yamaha doesn't even specify an oil filter on the first oil change, however I did cross reference the Yamaha filter to a more popular, cheaper brand.  Cannot hurt to change the filter any time oil's changed.

Now it's been a year since my last oil change.  I just hate doing the maintenance 19 hours after the last oil change--when the maintenance interval is 100 hours.  I guess we should do more running instead of doing so much floating.

As far as the boat's running great, it'll be me doing all the maintenance.

Bamaman, your comment makes sense to all that are talented and self doers.  I am a novice to boating not owning my first till I was 57.  I never changed the oil on my car and although you say it is easy I would be nervous changing it on my expensive Yamaha F115 engine for fear that I would ruin it and then have to buy a new one, at that point I might as well upgrade to the Yamaha F150........wait a minute I am on to something here

Ha ha ha ha ha! That made me laugh out loud.

I will recommend to anyone attempting lower unit oil change, GET AN ADAPTER AND PUMP for the bottle of gear oil. DO NOT try to use the squeeze tubes. You will end up with more on the floor than in the lower unit !! Oh yeah, latex gloves are good too.....gear oil STINKS !!

Now I don't want anyone to be offended by this statement, but there are some people who should never pick up tools or try to fix anything. After being in the car business (Porsche and Mercedes) for 40+ years and having worked with some of those people (would never let them touch my car) I've concluded that some people are better using their brains than their hands. So....for me or Bama or many it's an easy job, and I don't have a trailer so I still pay to have it done. Don't beat me up too bad.   :p

Now I don't want anyone to be offended by this statement, but there are some people who should never pick up tools or try to fix anything. After being in the car business (Porsche and Mercedes) for 40+ years and having worked with some of those people (would never let them touch my car) I've concluded that some people are better using their brains than their hands. So....for me or Bama or many it's an easy job, and I don't have a trailer so I still pay to have it done. Don't beat me up too bad.   :p
That would mostly describe me when it comes to engines, and absolutely no offense.

Pay the pro, as long as you're sure they're doing the job right. Plenty of them around when it comes to basic O/F changes and it's pretty hard to screw up.

Even if I wanted to do mine ,I am in a slip and no trailer .

So the marina does the work.

Problem solved,

Spoke with Yamaha Dealer he is able to do work in a timely manner 

Will have boat the same day , take in the morning back in the evening

Soooooooooooooo Much Better 

No need for a 3 week turn a round

As we all know the Boating Season is too short to begin with 

39413652.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem solved,

Spoke with Yamaha Dealer he is able to do work in a timely manner 

Will have boat the same day , take in the morning back in the evening