Show me your surface mounted GPS/Sonar units

gigem

Reaction score
I've got a 2010 24SLi and I am wanting to add a GPS/Sonar. I've been a Garmin user for a long time, so I am thinking of getting the ECHOMAP UHD 63cv. Maybe the 73cv. I want to surface mount it, not cut up the dash. Can I see some pictures of what others have done? I am thinking I might need to remove my tiny windshield, which doesn't seem to do much and would not be a great loss.

Thoughts?

That looks great! Where did you get the mount? Custom made?

Might anyone know where to source this square tubing mount? I don't see it on the Axia website. I have used Axia products on sand cars, jeeps, and dual sport motorcycles, and they have some great stuff, but need the square tubing mount first. Would like to use it for a mirror and for a GPS unit.Axia Square Tubing Bracket.jpg

That looks great! Where did you get the mount? Custom made?
Balzout mount,

Made in USA, built like a damn tank. TH marine also makes a fairly robust mount.

What I love about the Balzout mount (even though the name is terrible) is that instead of an "infinite" adjustment, it uses ball and detent so that once you lock it down it does not move - period. I had a Ram mount that uses the ball and socket method, which is fine for some applications. But with a heavy graph (mine is 4 lbs) and rough ride, even if you crank down on them with the tool they still eventually move. Also because of the materials the Ram uses there is a lot of give leading to excessive wobble or vibration. Adequate for many applications but not mine.

With the BZ mount, you lose that infinite adjustment but there are 6-8 positions for every knuckle, so plenty to make viewing position work. It's literally like a solid piece of aluminum when in use. I highly recommend.

Our 2019 SXP Fast Back came with 5” Simrad Go which was way too small for us to read and view. We purchase a 9” Simrad Go and mounted it at the center of the helm using the adjustable surface mount that came with the unit. It worked out just fine for us because the new unit did not block the view of analog gauges on the dash. This arrangement will likely not work with many dash configurations.

Attachments

• 9A37ADCA-5D8C-4746-A6C3-F2C266A2CAF9.jpeg
    9A37ADCA-5D8C-4746-A6C3-F2C266A2CAF9.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 59
Helix 7 mounted on a Ram mount

View attachment 31083

Can you tell me which RAM mount you used? That looks good!

This is where I want my mount to go. In front of the windshield, in the far right corner. Where my wallet is sitting in the picture (smart, right?). It will need to be maybe 6-8 inches tall, to have the unit clear the windshield. Any advice on which RAM mount to get?

20210905_141834.jpg

Might anyone know where to source this square tubing mount? I don't see it on the Axia website. I have used Axia products on sand cars, jeeps, and dual sport motorcycles, and they have some great stuff, but need the square tubing mount first. Would like to use it for a mirror and for a GPS unit.View attachment 31065
Found my own answer. Axia sells all of their mounts with the option of a 1-1/4" square mount. You just select the product you want and hit the dropdown for the mount type/size. The last option on the list is for the square 1-1/4" mount.

Me again. Getting closer to pulling the trigger on this. I'm getting the Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 63cv.

I am tempted to mount it smack dab in the middle of the dash! I know it will block the tach and make the fuel gauge and engine tilt gauge hard to see, but I'm not sure I care.

Thoughts?

See mockup images below

Attachments

• GPS dash.jpg
    GPS dash.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211119_172714.jpg
    20211119_172714.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 25
I don’t think it will help resale value and I believe you may regret it later. I would do a semi-permanent mount using a strong double sided tape. Use a tape that can be removed later using dental floss and solvents. Give it ten hours or so for a trial period. I guess I should explain dental floss. The floss is used to remove the item by slip sliding it under the object and sawing. Once the item is removed use the solvent to remove the tape goo.

Last edited:
Back