Side Panels Rehab

decklake

Reaction score
My 24' pontoon is in need of some tender loving care. The panels have been cleaned so often (possibly incorrectly) that the paint has been rubbed thru. I have talked to a couple local boat dealers and they have given me several suggestions 1) Mask the panels off and paint 2) Wrap the panels in a plastic decal material.

Does anyone have any experiance with this? If I choose paint what type of paint should be used? Wrapping the panels?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Decklake, welcome to the forum. Are your side panels metal or fiberglass? and are they one solid color or are there decals? masking and spray painting would be the easiest and cheapest, a good auto type paint should work fine, Duplicolor makes a good product, and has a pretty good selection of colors. or some parts stores offer a color matching service, but you have to take them a sample to do a match from, and they can load it into spray cans as well. Another popular item these days is a vinyl wrap, you've probably seen them, the delivery vehicle that has the whole car covered with their giant logo. i would imagine that to be pretty expensive. but you could customize your toon that way, check with your local sign company for that. Hope this helps some, and i'm sure you'll hear from other members with other ideas. let us know what you decide on!

My 24' pontoon is in need of some tender loving care. The panels have been cleaned so often (possibly incorrectly) that the paint has been rubbed thru. I have talked to a couple local boat dealers and they have given me several suggestions 1) Mask the panels off and paint 2) Wrap the panels in a plastic decal material.

Does anyone have any experiance with this? If I choose paint what type of paint should be used? Wrapping the panels?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I suggest paint. Maybe more work than vinyl wrap, but much cheaper. Post before/after pics!

I suggest paint. Maybe more work than vinyl wrap, but much cheaper. Post before/after pics!
I also suggest paint......... vinyl wrap is very very expensive.

Back