Simrad and Winterizing - New Owner

shewitt79vb

Reaction score
Just purchased a new Bennington with 250 sho and being told to winterize it I just need to drain the waiter out, put Yamaha ring free plus instead of the conditioner/ fuel stabilizer (ring free plus much more expensive than Yamaha conditioner fuel stabilizer)and keep engine upright and will be fine since its on a covered lift. Then change fluids when new season comes around. Is that ok for these outboards?
Second questions is my simrad does not show depth if i go over 14 mph and being told it wont show bc that's too fast for sonar to pick up the depth...every other boat i have seen shows depth even when going faster. Any insight would help - thanks

Just purchased a new Bennington with 250 sho and being told to winterize it I just need to drain the waiter out, put Yamaha ring free plus instead of the conditioner/ fuel stabilizer (ring free plus much more expensive than Yamaha conditioner fuel stabilizer)and keep engine upright and will be fine since its on a covered lift. Then change fluids when new season comes around. Is that ok for these outboards?
Second questions is my simrad does not show depth if i go over 14 mph and being told it wont show bc that's too fast for sonar to pick up the depth...every other boat i have seen shows depth even when going faster. Any insight would help - thanks
My Simrad Go9 reads depth up to top speed (near 50mph), even in chop. It's all a function of how the transducer is positioned. Try to keep it out of churned water.

Regarding winterizing, Yamaha outboards self-drain in the vertical position (not trimmed up). I've used various quality stabilizers in non-ethanol fuel with good luck. There is a debate between storing with a fresh full tank to prevent condensation or one only partially full and then topping off with fresh fuel in the spring. I do the former without any issues. I feel it is good to have the motor serviced in the fall to ensure there is no water in the lower end (bad seals) that could freeze and cause damage.

Back