Sitting low

dkleist

Reaction score
I bought a new 20SL this year. It seems to be sitting very low in the water compared to other in the lake. WE were actually out with it and the front end dipped into the water when i slowed up. Could this be water in the toons. Or is there something else. we were close to compacity but most of the weight was in the rear. Thoughts?

Look at the 20SL pictured on page 28 of the 2012 brochure. It's in a normal sitting position (with the stern end of the tubes a bit lower in the water.) If your boat is dramatically different that this picture...have your dealer give it a quick check for a leaky tube. A shorter boat like a 20' or 17' will appear "stouter" than a longer boat if you are comparing to others on the lake...and tritoons have the extra bouyancy of a thrid tube!

Sometimes it's nearly impossible to avoid a "swamped deck" in rough water no matter how big your boat, but a couple of pointers include:

1. Slow down gradually and try not to abruptly pull back on the throttle.

2. A modest zigzag pattern across the chop, then with the chop, can sometimes help.

3. The captain maintains the right to "balance" the passenger load...don't be afraid to ask someone to move positions in the boat to avoid a heavily weighted bow area!

:) TB

Look at the 20SL pictured on page 28 of the 2012 brochure. It's in a normal sitting position (with the stern end of the tubes a bit lower in the water.) If your boat is dramatically different that this picture...have your dealer give it a quick check for a leaky tube. A shorter boat like a 20' or 17' will appear "stouter" than a longer boat if you are comparing to others on the lake...and tritoons have the extra bouyancy of a thrid tube!

Sometimes it's nearly impossible to avoid a "swamped deck" in rough water no matter how big your boat, but a couple of pointers include:

1. Slow down gradually and try not to abruptly pull back on the throttle.

2. A modest zigzag pattern across the chop, then with the chop, can sometimes help.

3. The captain maintains the right to "balance" the passenger load...don't be afraid to ask someone to move positions in the boat to avoid a heavily weighted bow area!

:) TB
I learned about #1 when my inlaws were in the front fishing seats and I went from plane to stop in 2 foot bow on waves. Water came over the rails and soaked everybody but the captain. Learned that lesson well.

I learned about #1 when my inlaws were in the front fishing seats and I went from plane to stop in 2 foot bow on waves. Water came over the rails and soaked everybody but the captain. Learned that lesson well.
Hmmmm, so you soaked the inlaws 'accidentally'? I believe it COMPLETELY!!HAHA

Derrick

Hmmmm, so you soaked the inlaws 'accidentally'? I believe it COMPLETELY!!HAHA

Derrick
I had an o'crap moment when I saw the bow drop. Threw it in reverse and was way too late. I really like my inlaws and the rest of her family. Anybody who likes you for you are is golden in my book. Plus they handled it really well. If it was my parents, your statement is close.

Back