Ski Tow Bar

syester

Reaction score
I have a 2012 22SLX with the extended aft deck. When I purchase it, I could not get the heavy duty rub rail and ski tow bar together. I went with the heavy duty rub rail and planned on using the lugs on the tubes. This is how I am currently towing. I do not like this way because the rope gets caught on engine latch and I have to watch out for the prop. I've seen some posts that say not to use them. How did they connect ski ropes before ski tow bars? TB said to use the two u-bolts that are in front of the engine, but my fuel hoses and steering assist lines are in the way. I was on Benningtons web site and noticed they now offer a ski tow bar with heavy duty rub rail. I called my dealer, which contacted Bennington for pricing and they said it would be $750 and three weeks out. I am a steamfitter/welder by trade so building one would not be an issue. Does anyone have pictures of a ski tow bar installed on an extended aft deck with heavy duty rub rails. I am planning on building one, so any dimensions would be great. TB do you have a dimensional cut sheet or cad file for one of these? I would like to make sure that I install per benningtons requirements so I do not void any warranties.

I currently use airheads rope harness and booster ball. I have the harness that you attached and will probably use this weekend.

How does that harness connect? Do you just hook each clip to the outside toons lugs and the harness comes together behind the motor like a v shape?

It would go to the u-bolts on either side of the motor and then just wrap around. I've not actually used it on my Benny as I have a pylon now.

I hook it to the toon lugs. The u-bolts put the harness into the hydraulic hoses from the steering assist. This is why I am needing pictures or dimensions of a ski tow bar with a heavy duty rub rail.

How about a pic of what your boat looks like in the stern? It would help to figure out what you need.

I tried to hook the airhead tow harness to the u bolts by the motor and it would go around the engine but you could not turn it.

Sorry this took so long. TB doesn't monitor daily.

Drawing #50391: PLEASE NOTE that the "IMPORTANT" PLATES must be installed to insure the motorpan strength and integrity. (plates do not apply to the 2014 large 35 Gallon "mega pan")

This ski tow bar is now rated to 200 hp. Pylons are rated for higher horsepower. Beyond 200 hp we do not warranty the ski tow bar or the boat.

Drawing #50175 is not used on boats without rub rail.

50175.pdf

50391.pdf

Attachments

• 50175.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 332
  • 50391.pdf
    58.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
This is exactly what I needed. I appreciate the drawings and info. I'll try to post pictures when done.

In my opinion; it's things like this that solidifies why the graph showing a lion's share of the industry is going to Team Bennington.

That, and the pontoons, and their owners are AWESOME!

Speaking of owners...

I saw my first Bennington just blindly walking into a dealership. I was impressed, so was my wife (the kids were yelling "Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!" but they would have said that for any boat). After getting back home, it was this forum that really sold me on Bennington over the ensuing days/weeks. All the info... And all the great people here willing to help, and putting up with my endless questions... Build-a-Boat was EXTREMELY addicting... Once I started digging into this forum though, I never looked back. I didn't ever feel like looking at another brand.

The Build a Boat and this forum were a pure genius move by Bennington. Bennington created the forum, but it is the owners here that make the forum what it is. And I think the owners on this forum sell a lot more boats than many realize. I know this because this forum sold me a boat. I didn't care for the dealer I just happened to walk into that day, and in the end I bought from a different dealer, but that was after I was hooked by the forum, and went looking for a new dealer. Who thinks he sold me a boat! Ha ha ha. He didn't sell me my boat, you guys did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm still waiting for my commission check!!

Huh??? I sent that to you like a year ago... Didn't you get it?

We'll call it even, I owe most of you on here for comic relief! How did this get on a ski tow bar topic? Sorry. I'm done.

Just bought a Bennington 20SSNPX.  I bought it at a show and the deal included a ski bar.  We are scheduled to have it delivered next week.  Dealer called today and said the ski bar won't go on the 20 but he would substitute a pylon.  Is this a good deal?  He said the pylon was more expensive but since he said the bar was included he would make it the pylon.  Just wanting to check to be sure.  Your help is appreciated.  I like this forum so far.

I have the ski tow bar but I've heard those with the pylons love them. Is he just cobbling this together himself or using factory benninton parts? Why won't the ski tow bar go on a 20? They just bolt on...

Could be the configuration of the stern deck won't allow the ski bar. My new 24 sfx couldn't be ordered with a ski bar for that reason.

Interesting. So where would the pylon go? In the motor pod?

Interesting. So where would the pylon go? In the motor pod?

My pylon comes up through the sun lounger on the back of my Rl.  I looked at the 20" ssnpxp on the boat builder and it comes straight up through the floor
SkiPylon_OB-models_Bennington_pontoon_boats.jpg

Back