Ski/Tubing mirror

BigKahuna

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to this forum but I've been a member of another one (Pontoon and Deckboat) for years. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'll ask it again...........For those of you who tube, ski and wakeboard do you have/use a mirror that will properly fit the Bennington aluminum rails. We always have an observer onboard but whoever is driving still would like to see where the skiier/tuber/wakeboarder is. This is the 5th season with our toon and we have tried multiple mirrors but have not been satisfied with any of them. I don't have anywhere to mount it on the helm so I'm looking for one that can attach to the outside rail on the drivers right............Or has anybody come up with a better solution???????

Let us know what you use...............Thanks!

I'm relatively new to this forum but I've been a member of another one (Pontoon and Deckboat) for years. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'll ask it again...........For those of you who tube, ski and wakeboard do you have/use a mirror that will properly fit the Bennington aluminum rails. We always have an observer onboard but whoever is driving still would like to see where the skiier/tuber/wakeboarder is. This is the 5th season with our toon and we have tried multiple mirrors but have not been satisfied with any of them. I don't have anywhere to mount it on the helm so I'm looking for one that can attach to the outside rail on the drivers right............Or has anybody come up with a better solution???????

Manitou X-plode model has the mirror you are looking for. Aftermarket I have not seen one. http://www.manitouboats.com/catalog_flipbook/

Try www.ptm.edge.com. The two pontoon mirrors they have are not cheap but are nice. I have one on my new Bennington. I first saw these as an option that Manitou offers on their pontoons.

Pontoon Mirror Here's the link. Very nice mirror but a lot of $$$$$$$$$$.

I was just getting ready to order a mirror. Good topic. Once again, future frustration fended off by the forum. Love this place.

Try www.ptm.edge.com. The two pontoon mirrors they have are not cheap but are nice. I have one on my new Bennington. I first saw these as an option that Manitou offers on their pontoons.
Did you use bolt on or clamp on?

Thanks

Did you use bolt on or clamp on?

Thanks
Clamp on and it is doing fine. I ordered it before my new Bennington arrived. After putting the clamp on mirror on my pontoon, I think the bolt on would work fine if you don't mind drilling the holes.

THANK YOU ALL for turning me on to this product!!!!!! I hope the quality is the same in hand as it looks online. I just ordered one from the PROTOMET website........... Never thought I'd spend $239 on a mirror for my boat. At least I got free shipping. Ha!

Wow !! What a nice mirror. Have tried a few before but nothing like this one. Installed it last night. Top quality material, fits railing perfectly. Even if not towing, its still nice to have a view of something coming up on you. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow !! What a nice mirror. Have tried a few before but nothing like this one. Installed it last night. Top quality material, fits railing perfectly. Even if not towing, its still nice to have a view of something coming up on you. Gerry
That's good to hear Gerry.............

Got mine on Wednesday and will be going to the lake tomorrow and will try it out................Up date to follow..............

Hey Gerry quick question......................

Installed the mirror today..........there is a knob that holds the body of the bracket to the actual bracket that attaches to the railing. This knob loosens so you can fold down the bracket/mirror when you're not using it. When I tightened down on this threaded knob as far as it would go into the threaded bracket on the railing it was kinda wobbly and didn't present a tight fit. Did you have this problem??????

Hey Gerry quick question......................

Installed the mirror today..........there is a knob that holds the body of the bracket to the actual bracket that attaches to the railing. This knob loosens so you can fold down the bracket/mirror when you're not using it. When I tightened down on this threaded knob as far as it would go into the threaded bracket on the railing it was kinda wobbly and didn't present a tight fit. Did you have this problem??????
Hey Daril. No, my thumbscrew tightens fine. I got the clamp on model although I can't see where that should make any difference. Can't bring myself around to drilling holes in my new boat yet. Gerry

Hey Daril. No, my thumbscrew tightens fine. I got the clamp on model although I can't see where that should make any difference. Can't bring myself around to drilling holes in my new boat yet. Gerry
I got the clamp on also........the mirror did work fine and I was able to see behind me w/out any problem but it does not tighten all the way. Might have to contact the owner of Protomet..............

Had just found the same mirror online and came here to see what others were doing. I guess with the good reviews here I'll be ordering mine tonight. I think I'll order the bolt on as I don't want to worry about it getting "legs" and walking off. All in all not a bad price compared to what I spent on a mirror for the wakeboard boat.

Thanks to the group again.

Had just found the same mirror online and came here to see what others were doing. I guess with the good reviews here I'll be ordering mine tonight. I think I'll order the bolt on as I don't want to worry about it getting "legs" and walking off. All in all not a bad price compared to what I spent on a mirror for the wakeboard boat.

Just for info JC. They send an adhesive and locktite with the bolt on mirror. I don't see it going anywhere. Gerry

Just for info JC. They send an adhesive and locktite with the bolt on mirror. I don't see it going anywhere. Gerry
I was actually talking about with human help on the clamp on one :) ...

I installed ours yesterday (we ordered the bolt on). I installed it 3 degrees from flush to allow the mirror to completely fold down and recess under the rail in storage position.

Here are some pics of the unit:

Up and in position

gallery_1137_146_50680.jpg

Rear view

gallery_1137_146_143392.jpg

Folded and stored

gallery_1137_146_73004.jpg

Great yesterday for pulling and watching the boat traffic in front of me.

JC

Looks great JC ! Missed that one completely. We unfortunately have "sticky fingered" birds here in Ohio also !! Gerry :rolleyes:

Looks good JC...........

I installed mine in the exact location but my mirror folds in front of the throttle when in the down position..............

The mirror tightens down all the way now. I apparently had it slightly cross threaded. Chalk it up to human error.............

You might consider the clamp on, that way you are not committed to location until you try it a few times. You can then drill it and bolt it if you want. BTW, just got one of these last week, awesome mirror, clear and steady at speed too. Love it.

Back