Skinning Strategy

I thought the same thing when I first saw it so I lied down on the floor to peek underneath while my wife drove and although open not much made it’s way in
How ya doing Mark?!? I remember somebody posting a video of their boat from a standing start up to speed and water was splashing all over! I just thought it would also get above the toons and impede progress a bit. It looks like it would anyway. I also did the same thing. I laid on the floor and held my wife's IPAD over the edge to get a video but I kept thinking I'm either going to fall over or worse......Drop her IPAD!!! HA!

I have less shield coverage than AU's boat (post 14) but the plywood decking above the logs is always dry after use. So little water splashes up in that area that I find most of the pontoon's top surface is still dusty when I dry everything off. Might be a different matter for a tri-toon, I'd like to see someone do an underdeck video of one.

I have less shield coverage than AU's boat (post 14) but the plywood decking above the logs is always dry after use. So little water splashes up in that area that I find most of the pontoon's top surface is still dusty when I dry everything off. Might be a different matter for a tri-toon, I'd like to see someone do an underdeck video of one.
I either have a video or pics. Let me check my media....

Are you able to close up the area above the toons?!? Water must be getting up there while you're underway. Just an observation.....
Unnecessary. The main hit with 99% of the flow is dead center. Water may infiltrate those other areas, but it is of no consequence.

I don't know looks like it's splashing up there pretty good!!! You decide.....

I don't know looks like it's splashing up there pretty good!!! You decide.....
Splashing up there pretty good does not cause surging, nor does it negatively affect anything (from my own observations with my boat). Let it splash up there I say and clear out the damn spiders!

Splashing up there pretty good does not cause surging, nor does it negatively affect anything (from my own observations with my boat). Let it splash up there I say and clear out the damn spiders!
You're right about the spiders. Went down to the dock on Wednesday and cleared all of the webs and crap from the struts of the double Bimini and the lift controls. Went back on Thursday afternoon to plug in the onboard charger and everything was back!

Seems like the correct place to ask this question. I just ordered a 2022 22LXL with twin Ellipticals. The spec indicates that the Twin Ellipticals come with an under deck wave shield. The build sheet offers a Wave Tamer. What is this option? Also I tried to build a similar boat (just so I got the name of these parts correct) and when I selected the Twin Elliptical the Wave Tamer was already selected as included. Are they the same? The dealer said the rep would not recommend the Wave Tamer because of the weight.
Thanks

You're right about the spiders. Went down to the dock on Wednesday and cleared all of the webs and crap from the struts of the double Bimini and the lift controls. Went back on Thursday afternoon to plug in the onboard charger and everything was back!
Tempo works wonders!

Tempo works wonders!
Never heard of it. But I'll look it up. Remember I'll be moving my boat from that dock soon anyway.

Seems like the correct place to ask this question. I just ordered a 2022 22LXL with twin Ellipticals. The spec indicates that the Twin Ellipticals come with an under deck wave shield. The build sheet offers a Wave Tamer. What is this option? Also I tried to build a similar boat (just so I got the name of these parts correct) and when I selected the Twin Elliptical the Wave Tamer was already selected as included. Are they the same? The dealer said the rep would not recommend the Wave Tamer because of the weight.
Thanks
Wave tamer IMO is a waste of money. It covers the front 2-3 feet of the under deck where the wave shield does not. However, NO water ever splashes there. Like ever. I strongly recommend you pass unless you want it for aesthetic reasons.

Wave tamer IMO is a waste of money. It covers the front 2-3 feet of the under deck where the wave shield does not. However, NO water ever splashes there. Like ever. I strongly recommend you pass unless you want it for aesthetic reasons.
Thanks. I did find other POSTS from as far back as 2013, I am surprised that Bennington has not addressed this more appropriately. Seems it is expensive when you realize what it is. However I am still wondering why a 22LXL lists it as an Option but if you build a 22LXSB it is included. Both of these builds had the twin elliptical saltwater toons selected.

The wave tamer is only of use in really deep wave water - where the waves may themselves hit that front few feet on their own. In my mind, it’s the type of wavey water I wouldn’t want to be out on in a pontoon anyway. However, it does “look” better for those that like looking under their boat a lot - grin.

The wave tamer is only of use in really deep wave water - where the waves may themselves hit that front few feet on their own. In my mind, it’s the type of wavey water I wouldn’t want to be out on in a pontoon anyway. However, it does “look” better for those that like looking under their boat a lot - grin.
Thanks! This really makes sense now. I can visualize the waves like in the ocean or Lake Michigan. The Pontoon boat would bang on top of the wave and the wave would hit the underside. Your right, would not want to be out there anyway! A power boat "V" hull or sailboat would slice through this but I can see how a Pontoon would not be comfortable.

Looks great, I am wanting to do this same thing but wonder if there could be a warranty issue?
Also, did you close the area entirely or leave some area for moisture to drain out?
If there is a way for water to get in, it will and it will need to breathe or the floor material will rot out.

Looks great, I am wanting to do this same thing but wonder if there could be a warranty issue?
Also, did you close the area entirely or leave some area for moisture to drain out?
If there is a way for water to get in, it will and it will need to breathe or the floor material will rot out.
There is literally no way you could seal up the bottom of your boat that will not allow for water to drain.

Back