Smokin' Hot!!

Off Call

Reaction score
To those fellas in the states where its been warm and have seagrass flooring does it appear to get very HOT? I was doing some cleaning on the new TOON on one of our few nice spring days here in WI Temps in the upper 70s and let me tell you the seagrass was smokin''''' hot!!!! It was so hot that I had to put my shoes on. I am a little nervous because the whole boat is seagrass and what is it going to feel like when it is really hot!!! That is why I shyed away from the Teak flooring due to heat issues. I can't have my kids getting 3rd degree burn on soles of their feet!!!

Thannks guys!!! Taking it out on Tues for its first Dip on Tues. Temps supposed to be in upper 80's I will get a sure test of how hot the seagrass can get.

I recall talking to someone at Bennington about this last fall and they actually measured it as several degrees cooler than vinyl and faux teak, I believe. I sure hope it's not too bad, as I have full Seagrass too!

Hey, heading for the Chain near Waupaca next week for the summer from Cape Coral, Fl. Looking forward to it.

Oh ya, it will be real close to vinyl. Its hot. Splash water on it. Better yet, save some of that ice from northern Wi.

Seriously you may want to get some water shoes for the kids. They seem to like them and are easier to walk on snails, clams, rocks, etc.

Have a grat summer.

Great.... that is why we got the full sea grass too... we thought it would be cooler.. were heading to lake havasu in 2 weeks.. suppose to be low 100... so i'll have a real good report.. keeping my fingers crossed

Fatee, you definately be able to give us some good feedback!! I love Havasu spent a lot of time there as a kid. My grandmother wintered there! A lot has changed I have heard! Pack, I will look into the WI Ice. I think it is finally gone up North. We are due to go to Hayward in 3 weeks, water may be a tad nipply!!!! Kids don't care though!! Thanks fellas and good Toonin'''!!!!

I have the full vinyl floor with snap in carpet and was going to leave the carpet out some times to keep it clean and nice in the long run....................... After feeling the hot vinyl a couple times the carpet went back in, a little dirty carpet is better than fire walking. :p

To those fellas in the states where its been warm and have seagrass flooring does it appear to get very HOT? I was doing some cleaning on the new TOON on one of our few nice spring days here in WI Temps in the upper 70s and let me tell you the seagrass was smokin''''' hot!!!! It was so hot that I had to put my shoes on. I am a little nervous because the whole boat is seagrass and what is it going to feel like when it is really hot!!! That is why I shyed away from the Teak flooring due to heat issues. I can't have my kids getting 3rd degree burn on soles of their feet!!!

Thannks guys!!! Taking it out on Tues for its first Dip on Tues. Temps supposed to be in upper 80's I will get a sure test of how hot the seagrass can get.
Maybe snap a few pics of the stereo mounting and stuff if you can, it'd be much appreciated!

It won't be an issue for us. My wife gets out of bed and puts her shoes on to walk to the bathroom.

When I was a kid, we only wore shoes to go to church on Sunday in the hot southern Summer.

There again, I don't have seagrass. But it's some great looking floor.

I can imagine how hot those floors get...............I remember a few days where even our carpet was hot to the touch. Love that teak looking floor though...............

I will be interested in hearing the update. Got Seagrass in the aft deck. I think it will be fine though. Ice went out on the Manitowish Chain last Wednesday.

I can tell you from first hand experience the faux teak on the Center Walkway gets hot.

It gets Very hot! Direct sunlight with no Bimini coverage you can burn ur feet no problem

Good new's is its a easy fix. "Throw a Towel down" it keeps the floor cool and keeps it clean. It's faster to throw a towel in the wash at the end of the day then it is to clean the floor so it's a win win.

Gee, I like the way you think!!! Towels it will be!! Although my kids are good firewalkers!!! Watershoes a must for the little ones!!!

The towels is a great idea! I noticed last week when we had kids swimming off the boat for the first time that our ivory vinyl floor got dirty quickly with the grim that came off the bottoms of everyone's feet. Plus, although it has a slight texture to the vinyl it did get a little slippery once water got puddled up on the floor. Although I absolutely love how easy it is to clean, literally just hose it off. :)

When you get to Havasu, make sure you visit Steamboat Cove, nice beach, or make the voyage up to Topak and watch out for the petroglyphs the local natives etched on the rock walls centuries ago! Don't forget to look at all the bullet marks/ holes on the London Bridge (heading north) from WWII aircraft gunfire. And a great breakfast place is (I think) Rick's, made all the benches in same style as your boat seat... Used to visit there a lot, brings back memories.....

After hearing this I am glad I have carpet, what is the sense of having beautiful seagrass or teak if you have to cover it with towels

(In my best Indian voice) How, me thinks there is a lot of tender foot on here...lol just kidding! I'm just happy to have a boat that floats!

I have the seagrass in the front, and the teak in the back. We have had our boat in the water for about 3 weeks now and with temps last week near 80 both were fine to walk on.

Update on the seagrass flooring, took the new toon out today for the first time and put 50 miles on it. Temps in upper 80's. When at rest in a matter of 3 minutes I had to be a firewalker due to the extreme heat of the seagrass. The dealer was with me today and was shocked as well at how hot the seagrass got in a a short amount of time. However, as soon as we were moving the temps of the seagrass dropped dramatically!!! It looks like we will be investing in a throw rug for bow when at rest!!!!

You are making me nervous. We haven't taken delivery yet, but the seagrass aft was a big part of our decision over another boat.....I hope it's not an expensive option that turns out to be a poor design. I wonder if Bennington has anything to say in response to this??

Not really sure what Bennington could say or do about it. Stuff is out in the sun, it gets hot. My plain old rear decking got crazy hot as well, Gee's expensive teak gets hot, heck my CARPET was smoking hot a couple times. It's just the way it is. Be like some Asian countries, just have flip flops that stay on the boat for people to wear! :) that was one reason that I kept my carpet and didn't go full vinyl or teak. I guess you could all try to order the snap in carpet and put it in. Although it would be cool if it had a setup like my seats in the Caddy, a bunch of perforated holes that push air through to cool. Mental note, add that to my lottery win boat!

Here's an idea, for the RC enthusiasts on here, if you have one of those laser temperature readers, see how hot the decking is. Just for curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back