So I

Swordfish

Reaction score
So I went with the 70 Hp two stroke yamaha motor. Will I be disappointed and on a side note this is my first new pontoon 2011 20SLi with 25" tubes. I asked my dealer on motors and he said this is the one he would get. My other choice was a 50hp mercury 4 stroke for the same price.

So I went with the 70 Hp two stroke yamaha motor. Will I be disappointed and on a side note this is my first new pontoon 2011 20SLi with 25" tubes. I asked my dealer on motors and he said this is the one he would get. My other choice was a 50hp mercury 4 stroke for the same price.
I went with the 50hp 4 stroke Yamaha on my new 20FSI. Once I get it on the water I'll lend my opinon.

I figure buy all the power you can afford. I have never heard an everyday boater say he had too much power. I think you will appreciate the 70.

I would highly reccomend the 70hp Yamaha 4 stroke for the few extra bucks.

That is what I went with and it powers our 20 SLi w/25" tubes nicely.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the 4 stroke in a minute.

I hope this helps.

We got the 50 hp Yamaha as well, it was part of the 'package' the dealer was offering. We don't really need to go fast on the toon, like Joyfultooner, we have sea-doo's for that! Once we get her on the water, i'll post our impressions.

Ok got it today it's not loud as I thought it would be and it's very quick. I can live with it but I wish would have been had more experienced with boat motors over all I am happy.

I went with the Yamaha T50 on our 20 SLi. Our lake is only 247 acres and I felt where am I going to go? The dealer told me the F70 only adds 2 to 3 mph max. Our lake is a fishing lake to many weeds for pulling my nieces on a tube. They would not like it. Our lake is mostly pontoons, kayaks and canoes. I have a small runabout with a 90 Merc if I want to zoom around.

However I was told what I feel is good advice.

#1. I was told to only use 87 octain with ethanol but use stabile for ethanol gasoline. In my 90 Merc I use 93 octain no ethanol. I was told not to do that with my new Yamaha because the compter is listening for a ping to adjust it self and if I were to use a higher octain gasoline the computer would not hear the ping and would become less efficiant and burn more gasoline.

#2. I was told not to fill the gas take to full because as a weekend user with these new 4 strokes are so fuel efficiant that the gas will get old before we would burn it off. They told me on my 247 acre lake if I filled it full, it would take all summer to burn off 24 gallons.

I have a friend with a Merc 25 hp Bigfoot and a 32 gallon tank on his pontoon. It took him 3 years to burn it off, and he had fuel problems along the way. He had to buy some Yamaha additive for the gas because his dealer could not get the old gasoline out of the tank. I know that is true because I sold a 2002 I/O that I had parked with 3 year old gas and could not get it out of the tank. My dealer was also useless in helping me get it out. My friend was also give the same advice as I got but to late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back