So long, Evinrude, it's been good to know ya!

goldnrod24

Reaction score
Just read that same article over on FB a couple hours ago. I feel bad for those that loved that motor. As a Mercury owner, I did notice that BRP will be putting Merc’s on their line of marine boats. Smart move BRP. Smart move. ;)

I had a feeling this was coming. There was a testing center here in Stuart and last time I went by it was cleared out. They had a row of engine cowels sitting out in the elements in a row and those were gone as well. As some of you know I posted some boattest.com footage in the past when they tested evinrudes as it was right next to my house.

My first motor was a 1968 25 hp evinrude on a 14 foot rowboat. Bought both used from a neighbor In 1980. It was VERY reliable. Sold it Years later to a buddy who used the combo fot another 12 years before he sold it to another friend of his. Still going strong as far as I know :)

A boat manufacturer also making engines is an interesting business model. Did BRP really think other boat manufacturers or their dealers would purchase motors from them? Seems like a risky strategy to me.

Sticking with 2-stroke risky as well. I think it was a matter of time, their OEM agreements didn’t seem to be as productive as Yam and Merc (I’m guessing) and eventually your market share becomes so small you can’t support the R&D and then you are toast! G2 appeared to be their Hail Mary but was probably 5 years too late.

Thankfully I didn’t order that Manitou with the Rude on the back! I’d be kicking a giant hole in a wall right now!

Have wonder if there is more to the story? The G2's are very high tech and boast some exceptional numbers. However they are based on the Rotax RAVE system. We had a SeaDoo RXDI with that type of engine. It ran like gangbusters and didn't weigh very much. The down side is that those engines would toast a piston in a heart beat if anything in the direct injection fuel system went wrong.

Jack literally just got his new boat with a g2. Looks beautiful. You can’t find them down here. I’d say it’s 75% Yamaha and the rest is split between merc and Suzuki.

Wow. I really wanted that engine on my boat for a while. Now I'm glad I didn't end up getting that wish!

Jack literally just got his new boat with a g2. Looks beautiful. You can’t find them down here. I’d say it’s 75% Yamaha and the rest is split between merc and Suzuki.
I have no worries about it . I have a 7 year warranty ,with an option to purchase another 3 . My dealer told me yesterday ,You dont keep a boat that long anyway . :D

Back