Solar install without a pontoon lift?

Pbakk

Reaction score
Hello, just wondering if anybody has installed solar to charge batteries when not running the pontoon? My pontoon has sea legs (Ultra Legs) and thus no lift to mount a solar panel. Thus wondering if anybody has tried something different such as mounting to the ladder when not in use?

Thanks.

Hello, just wondering if anybody has installed solar to charge batteries when not running the pontoon? My pontoon has sea legs (Ultra Legs) and thus no lift to mount a solar panel. Thus wondering if anybody has tried something different such as mounting to the ladder when not in use?

Thanks.
I have read about people mounting them on the side of their boat that gets the most sun underneath where their mooring cover connects to the side fencing. I honestly don’t know anything about how they’ve done it, but I do know I’ve seen a few pictures online. It was awhile ago, so may not have even been Bennington owners vs. just some other manufacturer pontoon owners that did it.

Thus, I believe it can be done with some ingenuity and DIY skill.

You probably won’t need much. You might think about some type of rail hanger and just hang it at end of day. Maybe mount the solar controller inside storage area near battery and just plug in when needed.

Okay maybe I'm missing something here but do our pontoon batteries need charging in between outings?!? I've never had any problems with any batteries going dead in the 13 yrs. of having 2 pontoon boats. My current boat has a onboard built in charger but I haven't seen the need to use it during the season since we use the boat at least a couple times a week......

Okay maybe I'm missing something here but do our pontoon batteries need charging in between outings?!? I've never had any problems with any batteries going dead in the 13 yrs. of having 2 pontoon boats. My current boat has a onboard built in charger but I haven't seen the need to use it during the season since we use the boat at least a couple times a week......
You're correct.
If concerned about parasitic draw, install a battery cutoff switch.

Hello, thanks for the responses. I was concerned about the draw from the Ultra Legs (Sea Legs) when docking the boat.

Having a bad battery would be a headache. We have two batteries and a cutoff switch, but wonder how much drain occurs raising the pontoon after the motor is off without having a chance to recharge. I have an on-board two bank charger that I occasionally plug in, and I am surprised that it seems to take some time to register full charge. I don't leave the charger plugged in while not at the lake.

Right! I have to travel 5 hours to get to my Lake, and use the boat about 8 days a month. No shore power at RV park dock, so I would have to pull and then park next to my trailer. I am looking into a solar charger with a 2 battery regulator. Will update as I figure out a full system. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KWPFG...colid=5KDVLCDW8K2Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

You're correct.
If concerned about parasitic draw, install a battery cutoff switch.

Even deep cycles have a voltage drop rate, even when disconnected. It’s minimal, but as temperature drops, the rate increases. Luckily, my camper has solar so it keeps batteries topped off consistently. Even with my cutoff, the solar controller is now a parasitic draw.
I love my solar setup on my camper.
I sit in it at night, watch tv, listen to radio, led lights on, all off my batteries and as long as it’s even remotely sunny the next day, within an hour or two they are topped off.

Back