Speedometer not working

SandyG

Reaction score
We bought a 2020 23 RCW last summer. Mid summer the speedometer went out. We took the boat to the dealership and the speedometer was replaced. The speedometer worked fine the rest of the summer. Now summer of 2021 speedometer went out again. Has anyone else had a problem with the speedometer?

Weird. I have not. That said, I almost never pay attention to my dash gauge as opposed to looking at my speed via gps on the Simrad. It is so much more accurate, I rarely look at the more inaccurate gauge on the helm.

Anyway, I hope this time the replacement does it. Did your service dealer provide any indication of what was wrong with them? Strange to have two go like that in a short time frame.

Is the speedo using water pressure from the engine or GPS? If water pressure the pitot tube may be clogged with debris, wasp mud etc.
Its electronic, needle doesn't even show on gauge. Newer boats are a lot different. It's our second Bennington. We don't like the new electronics! :(

Its electronic, needle doesn't even show on gauge. Newer boats are a lot different. It's our second Bennington. We don't like the new electronics! :(
My 2016 is electronic as well and a couple of years ago the speedo stopped working. As Potomac noted above, your pilot tube is likely clogged. I took a fine wire to the hole on the engine and worked it around and it's as good as new.

Weird. I have not. That said, I almost never pay attention to my dash gauge as opposed to looking at my speed via gps on the Simrad. It is so much more accurate, I rarely look at the more inaccurate gauge on the helm.

Anyway, I hope this time the replacement does it. Did your service dealer provide any indication of what was wrong with them? Strange to have two go like that in a short time frame.
Mechanic said they were having a lot of issues with them. :(

My 2020 RFB quit working too. Speedo and fuel gauge, My 21 RT w/ Simrad 7 has issues as well with fuel and speedo

Back