Spinnoff: What parts on a Bennie are Made in China?

goldnrod24

Reaction score
It's winter; there's not a lot of boating going on.... so let's shoot the sh.... err, breeze.

Our boats are "Made in the USA," but they are assembled from hundreds or thousands of parts. Which of those parts are made in the USA and which are not?

I know from previous experience buying Mercury Marine parts that many are made in China and Mexico (among others).

Obviously, If you have a Yam OB, your answer is clear.

What about the rest of the parts? I'm pretty sure the deck plywood comes from here or Canada. Shoot, China now imports chopsticks from here (really!) because the raw wood is so scarce there.

The rest of the parts? Beats me. Your thoughts?

Ahh, stirrin up trouble again Randy :D Well for sure the audio equipment is from China, and i'd be willing to bet the rocker switches and circuit breakers are as well. As for the rest of the boat, i see some Perko stuff, like the fuel fill, i think the bulk of the materials come from this continent. Anyone else.............?

I can't speak for the factory, but as with many things, any assembled components are subject to being made overseas. Engines, Transmission, Electronics, etc.

It should be mentioned that the reason Chinese products get a bad name is because we generally see the ones that are bought to hit a certain price point. The Chinese are perfectly capable of making quality products, but only when a customer specifies that he wants it so and is willing to pay the increased cost.

It also gets complicated...

Take a boat with an I/O setup. Mercury and Volvo both base their engines on what is essentially a small block chevy, but only one of those two companies is "American". I quotate that because my Honda Pilot has a higher "American" content than many Ford, Chrysler or GM products and is built here in the US whereas a Jeep Wrangler I used to own was built in Canada.

I think B.M. will have to respond to you directly in order for you to get an accurate answer, but to the best of my knowledge the boat itself is all American made and hand built in Indiana.

Look closely at your s/b bowtie, mexico cast right in the block, i currently own a Renault that was 'built' in Kenosha Wisconsin with parts from France, Canada and U.S.A. I'm not sure you would find many things that don't use outsourced parts, as Eric said, it's all about price...

Hello all. TB double-checked with our Purchasing department before responding here. Of all the materials we buy to build our boats (items such as plastic molded seat bases, aluminum, wood and all components), the only parts we purchase directly from China (Chinese made) are some stainless pieces...corner castings, cleats and rub rails. Our supplier, fabrication and distribution partners are primarily based in the Midwest, supplying jobs to Americans, and our boats are proudly MADE IN THE USA. Our suppliers employ folks who anodize our rails (IN), manufacture the treated wood decking (MI), assemble our furniture (IN), sew our canvas (PA), weave our carpets (GA) and assemble our gauge panels (IN). We use FOUR aluminum suppliers from MI and IN.

Bennington has grown thanks to you and we now employ over 250 team members who are dedicated to your satisfaction.

We also do business with 6 engine manufacturers from around the world...Mercruiser/Mercury, Yamaha, Bombardier/Evinrude, Suzuki, Honda and Volvo Penta.

Thanks for the question! TB

OMG! The Stainless parts are Chinese!!! :eek:

That's it! I'm gonna buy an old Vette... <_<

Back