SPS vs ESP Performance

SandyG

Reaction score
Building a 2020 23RSR. Going with an SPS package with 200HP Yamaha. Want to be able to pull 2 tubers easily. Whats the performance like? Also is there a lot of difference between the SPS vs ESP packages?

Welcome ! Yes SPS good performance for us ! Don't know about the difference but more members will chime in. Sit tight !

I can't speak for the ESP as we have the SPS but here is my 24sslx with a 200hp and sps pulling a tube a few years back with two adults on the tube. It is effortless.

I have a 2019 sps with 200 Yamaha, had the boat at full capacity of 12, full tank of gas, 3 were on the tube, was very happy with performance!

I have a 2017 24’ SSBXP with SPS and a 200 Mercury Verado Pro. We even added Sea Legs this year, so we have extra weight and a different weight distribution than before. Pulling tubers is no problem!

Pulling 2 tubes should be no problem, but I haven’t done two at once. I’d have no concerns about doing so. I’m sure I could have three back there like pinballs and be okay depending on boat load. The SPS handles and rides great. Very smooth, and I think it turns very well.

My only caveat with the 200 HP is mine has a supercharger compared to that Yamaha you are considering. That gives my set up some extra zoom out of the gate. My S-series is also significantly lighter than your R-series (although my Sea Legs likely eat into that a fair amount). I LOVE our motors performance on our S-series boat. However, to get that same performance on an R-series would take more HP. I wouldn’t be able to afford it, but if I could and I were getting an R-series, I would want more HP than my 200 for what I do with our boat.

I have NO personal experience with the ESP hull. However, word of mouth and videos is it turns, corners and banks better due to that larger center pontoon compared to the SPS. It is also supposed to handle rough water better, but I’ve heard mixed word of mouth on if its a BIG step up on rough water, or if the difference is negligible between it and the SPS on rough water.

With either hull, you will have a blast pulling tubers or doing any other water sports. I don’t think you can go wrong either way. However, if affordable, maybe (just maybe) consider moving up a bit in HP to compensate for the weight of the R-series...?

Welcome SandyG! Building a new Bennington is an exciting time filled with many decisions, as you can attest to. Probably the best way to answer your question would be to experience the difference during a sea-trial at your local dealer. Good luck and enjoy the process...

When we were shopping around, we looked at several boats without really giving much consideration to the type of tritoon we wanted. That was one option I really hadn't investigated thoroughly. We just knew we wanted a tritoon.

We ended up with ESP and a Yamaha F150. Couldn't be happier. It turns on a time. I can make any tube or watersports passenger scream with ease. It can handle a super tight turn at 30mph and not slow down more than 3-5mph without needing to increase throttle. If I wanna sling my riders around, I can bump the throttle in the turn for a high adrenaline ride.

I think any regular tritoon equipped with at least a 150 HP will be fine for general tubing, pulling chariots, kneeboarding, etc. If you want to do some fun stuff - high speed, quick turns, you might consider the ESP. I can tell a difference between our boat with a 150 HP and our neighbor's Benny with a 225 HP in handling and ride.

Regarding the comment on rough water, I'm not sure how to quantify my opinion of ESP vs other tritoon platforms, but I will say I can't tell any difference between our boat and what it would be like handling a 4' wave in a deep v-hull. You still rock and roll, and still jump!

We are on very rough water, so we bought the ESP and Wavetammer bow shield. The ESP option makes the hull heavier, so speeds with the ESP will be lower than the SPS hull. We are getting 40mph with our 200hp Merc, but the torque is fantastic so pulling 2 big tubes is no problem.
No matter what you buy, get power steering!

I had a 2275 RCW with a 200hp SHO and ESP, my dealer asked if I would take a couple out on my boat and show them the Bennington (he's about 5.5 hours drive away). They had a tri-toon already with a 150hp, not sure if it was one or two years old. Well they got on and I took it up to about 30mph and told them to hold on! She replied with "oh it's okay, we have a tri-toon" so I cranked it! Well the look on her face and the words from her mouth sold them! Haha

One thing to also keep in mind is that the ESP automatically adds the power steering, plus the elliptical centre toon adds 1000lbs of buoyancy over the standard 25", so I was told. Worth every penny! Oh and my setup maxed about 42-44 with the 200hp SHO on the R series.

Oh and my setup maxed about 42-44 with the 200hp SHO on the R series.

That’s much better than I would have guessed with a 200 on an R-series ESP Derrick. Nice!

I love my SPS. However, had I been able to afford an ESP I would have done so. Given what I know now about my SPS paired with my 200 HP motor combined with my smaller 32 gallon gas tank, I would LOVE to have the larger ESP gas tank. Given a 200 HP motor and resulting GPH they get at higher speeds and throttle settings, a larger gas tank is super nice. This is magnified if one will be boating long distances, boating big bodies of water, or boating on non-marina bodies of water.

I haven't had an issue with my 32 gallon tank. It all depends on how you drive the boat though. We typically cruise at 3-3.5K rpms which is my most efficient when getting between point a and b. RPM range increases some when it's just me....

I haven't had an issue with my 32 gallon tank. It all depends on how you drive the boat though. We typically cruise at 3-3.5K rpms which is my most efficient when getting between point a and b. RPM range increases some when it's just me....

What's very interesting to me is the different tank sizes and positions. I would have thought they are more standard, but they are actually all over the board.

My ESP is on a GCW boat. It has a 25 gallon tank under the starboard side rear lounger. I find that it combined with the 150 HP is a really efficient combo. We can cruise our whole lake on a tank. I never run it less than half full. Half full is empty for me.

My ideal RPM's match yours for A-to-B cruising, too.

Wow, I thought the larger tank in the center was pretty much standard for an ESP. Learned something new today!

Building a 2020 23RSR. Going with an SPS package with 200HP Yamaha. Want to be able to pull 2 tubers easily. Whats the performance like? Also is there a lot of difference between the SPS vs ESP packages?
22 SX Premium SPS with 200 Yamaha. I pulled 3 skiers up at the same time from deep water starts this summer with ease. I did this with a 15p aluminum propeller. Performance is even better with my stainless prop.

2019 22SSRXP SPS performance package with F200XB Yamaha. 43mph on GPS @ 5800 RPM's fully rigged and full of fuel with 1 person on-board. It has plenty of hole shot to pull a 275lbs skier from deep water. Smooth ride, cuts through waves very nicely and the turning capability is impressive. This is my first "toon", so I have no comparison to others brands or models. I have always had Vee bottom runabouts. My Bennington performs similar to my 1999 Crownline 225BR with a 5.7 and a Bravo 3 and uses WAYYY less fuel with tons more room.

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Boat 3.jpg
    Boat 3.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I have that boat with the 25" tubes and Yamaha 200---It will go 38-39 mph, pulls hard but my next door neighbor has a 24' Avolon with a 200 SHO motor and it will destroy mine, pulls harder, runs faster---My 23 RSR is actually about same length of his Avalon, Get the SHO motor!!!

I have that boat with the 25" tubes and Yamaha 200---It will go 38-39 mph, pulls hard but my next door neighbor has a 24' Avolon with a 200 SHO motor and it will destroy mine, pulls harder, runs faster---My 23 RSR is actually about same length of his Avalon, Get the SHO motor!!!

That said, that Avalon is likely a lot lighter than your 23’ R series. That also gives them some speed/hole shot advantages.

i took a 2018 23SSRXP with ESP & a merc 200 XL DTS
for a test ride over the weekend. top out at 42 mph
i have more experience with ski boats, have had a few correct craft over the years
but also a few older pontoons as well and i was so impressed with the performance of this boat
in speed out of the hole,top end and steering!!!! was very similar to that of inboard ski boat

Back