SPS vs ESP

jsur

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have just submitted my order for my new Bennington and I am having second thoughts. I currently have a 2350 RBR ordered with the Yamaha 200 and the SPS package. I cannot find anything in this forum really comparing the SPS vs the ESP directly. It seems as if the SPS is very similar (just with a smaller central pontoon) and really designed for the lower hp motors. Can anybody give me any further insight? I do plan on using this boat for tubing and wonder if the ESP package is significantly more maneuverable? Is it worth the money to upgrade with a 200 hp motor?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the quick response. I did see the description and the sps seems like an esp light. I am looking for a more objective difference if possible.

The main difference is the ESP will bank to the inside like a v-hull boat does. It can carve very tight turns, so for heavy watersports use is going to be a better option. Mine handles surprisingly close to what my tournament inboard did. The down side is it's a big premium when you factor in the things you need (power steering) and might also want (bigger tank, center storage, etc)

I have a gbr 2550 with a 200 Yamaha. This boat handles like a ski boat on turns. It is truly unbelievable how it will corner. I sold a wakeboard boat to purchase this bennington and love what I have. With just me and a half tank of fuel I can get 41 mph. 10 adults and it pulled up a 220 lb slalom skier. 

Hi Tom,

Did you happen to test the sps package as well? It seems like it should bank pretty well also.

Do you have to get the larger fuel tank? Does it come with it? I do not see it as an option on the site. I already have the power steering and storage ordered.

Yes, I've driven the Express, SPS, and ESP as well as the Manitou VP and SHP, and Premier PTX36. The SPS is a fine boat, especially with the new Yamaha 200, and very quick. I found the Express with the 150 didn't meet our needs very well, squats at rest, and took a lot of effort to turn at speed. The SPS does turn fairly flat, though it's very safe and secure feeling behavior. Some other tri-toons still bank to the outside like a 2 toon boat, which is kind of scary. The SPS is just not going to carve turns the way an ESP does since ESP pivots on the center toon. All 3 of them give have plenty of buoyancy so you never feel like water's coming over the bow. Each has a purpose and corresponding price point.

Well said Tom, your comment belongs in the new Options thread

LOL, just went to it and saw one of the moderators already did it

We water tested the sps with yamaha's new 200 last year and loved it so much we sold our 2013 two toon boat. Coming from a two toon with lifting strakes the sps was a totally different ride. Smoother, quieter, and turned quite well in my opinion. If you have the money than by all means get the esp. For us we felt the sps would make a great fit for our needs and budget.

Thank you, sounds like I will be good either way. Now I have to check and see if I can even upgrade at this point.

Either one will drastically benefit with the power steering option.

Most missed piece for performance especially in combination with 200hp plus motor.

A must have in my opinion.

Looks like it is going to be the esp package. Hopefully, my son will appreciate that in a few years. I don't believe the larger tank is available on the rbr model. Thank you to all for your quick responses.

LOVED my 200SHO with ESP!!!! Love the 250SHO with ESP even more!! Power steering is such an amazing option. Worth every penny IMHO, it just makes everything effortless. 

JSUR, You are correct, the larger fuel tank is not an option on the SBR models. I have a 2550 on order and wanted the bigger tank. Bennington said it is under development and will not be ready till late summer at best. For the record I went with the ESP and power steering.

I suppose I am grateful the tank is not available right now.  One more option to painfully deliberate over.  I am having a hard enough time sitting on the F200.  However, I am not convinced that any more hp will lead to a meaningful difference in my ability to use the boat and the gas mileage of the F200 seems to be superior.  I am also told it is quite quiet.  I am also now beginning to look into the ideal prop...too many things to consider

I suppose I am grateful the tank is not available right now.  One more option to painfully deliberate over.  I am having a hard enough time sitting on the F200.  However, I am not convinced that any more hp will lead to a meaningful difference in my ability to use the boat and the gas mileage of the F200 seems to be superior.  I am also told it is quite quiet.  I am also now beginning to look into the ideal prop...too many things to consider
I know what you mean. My brain hurt for 6 weeks till I made all those decisions. When it's all said and done and you are enjoying your new boat none of that will matter.

Tom referred to the process as analysis paralyses

Back