SS to Aluminum Prop for 2012 SLX

Jeff Pearl

Reaction score
I just acquired a 2012 Bennington SLX Tri that has a 2014 Yamaha 150 on it. It has a stainless steel prop on it today and I want to swap it for a aluminum to ensure that I don't any engine damage and I don't plan to do water spots on it anyways. Can someone help me understand how to know what prop to order?

What prop is on it?

Hmm, unless you are using it in water that's full of obstacles or very shallow, I'd keep the SS, especially if you are happy with the performance.

If you still wish to swap, you will need some kind of gps device (there are phone apps) in order for you to determine your actual speed. Can you work out an arrangement with a dealer or other prop retailer that you can try some props before actually making the purchase?

Just off the top of my head, you likely are looking in the 13-15 pitch range, but shoot for the top end of your rap range at WOT (wide open throttle).

They do make...name escaping me...these break away hubs or hub bolt devices for SS props so if you do hit something, you basically break a clip/bolt of some sort instead of transferring stress into the lower unit of the motor.

I am sure those with direct knowledge, or better mechanical descriptions of what I am talking about than I, can chim in. I’d check with your dealer about that option first, as you could then have the best of both worlds: more durable prop with better performance for that 150, but also peace of mind for your motor should you hit anything with it.

Flo-Torq4 for Mercs. SDS Hub for Yamahas.

I think I lost about 2 mph after putting on the floor torq 4... Could be due to the hub flexing...

It's only made to stop the prop rattle in 4-cyl engines. It shouldn't bother top end speed.

Back