Sternlight Tube

itauditbill

Reaction score
So backing out two days ago we bent our sternlight pretty badly and the tube broke. I unscrewed the screw at the top, but the light seemed to stay the top half of the tube. Is there a way to get just a new tube for that and put the light back on that? Everything else is fine on the light. Don't really want to pay a dealer for a part that seems just to need a new tube.

I've seen the entire light assembly at Walmart and Amazon. Not that expensive.

At some point…in some thread in this forum, someone had posted a link to a stern light replacement (maybe off of Amazon) that was rather inexpensive. Try doing a search (upper right hand corner search box). I know this has come up and been discussed. Good luck!

I did search, just couldn't tell what the connectors on the other lights that were mentioned were. I have two black wires, I need to figure out if they have marked which one is positive and negative. The connectors have a male plug on one and female on the other to ensure you put it in the right way.

I did search, just couldn't tell what the connectors on the other lights that were mentioned were. I have two black wires, I need to figure out if they have marked which one is positive and negative. The connectors have a male plug on one and female on the other to ensure you put it in the right way.
I have to believe that it’s all pretty much standard wiring. The replacement light probably won’t have the connectors so you’ll have to cut them off the old light and use butt connectors to add them to the new. Basically pick a wire.

The light is operated off 12 volts DC. If you are using an incandescent bulb, the polarity doesn't matter. Like Michiman said, pick a wire.

If your bulb is an LED bulb, you have a 50/50 shot at getting it right the first time. The good news is you have a 100% chance of getting it right the second time! ;) Just flip the wires. Or flip the bulb in the socket, if it allows.

Back