Stiff!

shoalsgary

Reaction score
I have a new 2023 188The steering is stiff at any speed above idle and the throttle is very stiff at any speed. I didn't have either of these issues with my Suzuki 115 on my Silver Wave 22

Cable steering? Maybe that?

What motor (curious in regards to throttle stiffness)?

I hear pontoons with cable steering are a bit extra stiff sometimes compared to other boats. However, I have never helmed a pontoon with it, so hopefully someone with cable steering, ideally with your motor and boat set up, will chime in soon. ‘

You mention steering play too. So it has that as well?

As for the throttle, I have a Mercury Verado, but I have digital controls and throttle, so you have a different system than mine has. My set up is pretty smooth. Again, hopefully someone with a similar set up can speak to that soon too. There’s many very knowledgeable members in here, just a matter of the right one seeing your post.

Both of the functions you mentioned are actuated with their own push pull cables. Cable friction goes up significantly if the cables have unnecessary bends. Manufacturers will sometimes use cables optimized for a longer boat in the name of commonality. If your cables have unnecessary bends in the form of complete coiled loop you will have a simple warrentee claim that is obvious and falls under the category of a manufacturing defect. I have seen this before on another brand boat. A snaky cable routing might be harder to dispute. High frictional loads are induced by the highest operational load. You may not be able to demonstrate the problem on the trailer or at the dock. A fish scale might be a useful tool to document the forces.

I have cable steering on my new 150 Mercury….no problems. Even my wife can steer with no difficulty. I strongly suggest working with the dealer as you are under warranty. Even new cable steering can go bad. Save yourself the headache and call the dealer.

Back