Storage damage

Lilguy

Reaction score
Had the new boat in storage over the winter. Was moved around some during the 7 month lay up. Had the port side railing replaced because of surface flaws that looked like light hail hits. Took a look when pulled out and saw a scrape mark on the rear of the starboard tube. The marina is avoiding much discussion about the hit. Anything I can do to cover the scratch? Doesn't seem to be a structural issue, no hole. Thanks all.

Attachments

• boat sgratch.pdf
    516.5 KB · Views: 42
Do you have and pics of that area ,before storage ?
It looks too deep to sand and polish the toons .
There is product called pontoon guard , I believe there are other company's that offer them also

What you say makes sense Jack. Probably a good idea of a video walk around inside and out just before your boat goes into winter storage

What you say makes sense Jack. Probably a good idea of a video walk around inside and out just before your boat goes into winter storage
I also take a pic of the Simrad , I know they run in a bit before and after ,but that way I have hours ,fuel , etc documented

Yep.
The launches are all recorded on Speedy dock. Sept 9th 2022 was last day used. iPhone photo gallery of entire boat Sept 24th ( electronic date recorded) when it was on trailer to be winterized. They said they’d make a much larger mark trying to buff it some.
I was going to fill with epoxy and polish smooth.

Yep.
The launches are all recorded on Speedy dock. Sept 9th 2022 was last day used. iPhone photo gallery of entire boat Sept 24th ( electronic date recorded) when it was on trailer to be winterized. They said they’d make a much larger mark trying to buff it some.
I was going to fill with epoxy and polish smooth.
Good Luck with the epoxy ,post some pics when finished . Others here , have some dock rash that may be interested in trying that method .

It went into storage clean , came out scratched. I will let all know what I do.
Thanks.
They have to compensate you somehow! (Free winterization/storage next year?)

My dealer paid to have my toons covered when they damaged them.

Offered nothing. Initially blamed me. Not good. I have no option. Can’t tow it now, they are my only option for warranty care. All other aspects of housing it there
have been acceptable.

Darn! Sounds like they have you over a barrel. I’d make sure you document her condition with the dealer next time you have to take it back so there can be no finger pointing.

I’d give it a season and if you can’t live with it, consider getting the toons wrapped.

Attachments

• IMG_4457.jpeg
    IMG_4457.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 14
It stays at the dealer/marina. Its in valet service. Nice setup, we plug in an open launch time and when we return. Just took this incident to show the limitations of their concern if something goes wrong. Thanks all.

They make epoxys that dry light gray and darker gray that are strong enough to drill and polish, so I think that might work for you. I'm gluing some golf shafts in some irons right now using JB Weld, and that's some really strong stuff and is light gray.

Thats what I was going to use. You can up the level of the hardener to lighten it a bit. Just have to clean and sand the area a bit. Thanks all.

It stays at the dealer/marina. Its in valet service. Nice setup, we plug in an open launch time and when we return. Just took this incident to show the limitations of their concern if something goes wrong. Thanks all.
This is our 1st full year of keeping our boat at a dry storage marina I call a "boatel". I've watched those fork lift drivers at length and they are really careful! Believe me I have checked both the inside and outside of all 3 toons for dents, scratches etc and haven't found any. The fork lifts are cushioned/carpeted but I still cringe when they pick it up like a toy and drop it in the water or put it away in the bldg!

Mine is launched and retrieved from my trailer a their private ramp. It got moved around alot over the layup, warranty work. Not totally surprised, but disappointed at their response. That what insurance is for if it’s really bad.

Back