Subwoofer failing? Cutting in and out when volume up a bit...

Newport RI

Reaction score
Well another loud night, less loud... seems like my subwoofer is cutting out. On volume lets say 15-18 its fine, 20+ its cutting out and something isnt right. The music stays on just sub and bass cuts out from powered sub...I tried going from battery one, to battery 1+2 and that didnt help... any thoughts or advise on what to check? (we are always using ipod hook up).... Thanks

This has mainly been happening when docked... cant tell if happening underway as havent been out much do to higher winds in area and work, so mainly been at marina etc...

Thanks all for advise...

I would check the wiring especially the grounds.

Your amp could have a shut off if your not getting Enough power, try it while you are driving.

What are the settings on the head unit, and the gains? Have they been changed?

Rocky yes they may have been changed, is there a wauy to go back to stock settings on the sony head unit that you know of? These head units have various settings, controls, sound settings, etc... very confusing. any advise I am all ears, thanks again

What are the settings on the head unit, and the gains? Have they been changed?

Im having the same problem.. I ordered a Bazooka 10" powered marine subwoofer. put it under the bench seat in fron of the console on my 2010 24 sfi.

It sounds great! The problem I'm having is that it cuts out when I have the stereo at lower volume? I spliced the power in with the 12v accessory plug (cigarette lighter plug). This cuts out at lower volume and I never have anything plugged into the outlet itself? Any suggestions?

Im having the same problem.. I ordered a Bazooka 10" powered marine subwoofer. put it under the bench seat in fron of the console on my 2010 24 sfi.

It sounds great! The problem I'm having is that it cuts out when I have the stereo at lower volume? I spliced the power in with the 12v accessory plug (cigarette lighter plug). This cuts out at lower volume and I never have anything plugged into the outlet itself? Any suggestions?
That wire size is too small for a powered sub.

My boat is in the shop or I would walk myself through it and post for you.

Here is my recollection - When you push the volume knob it cycles through all the settings; bass, treble, mid, etc, etc. Turning the volume knob while on each changes your settings, take all back to "the middle" and your sub to 0. Not sure there is a factory reset. There is also a gain on your amp, and a "gain knob" on the side of the sub, this too could have been moved.

Here is the Sub Manual

http://www.wetsounds...User_Manual.pdf

Here is the manual Smitty found for the stereo.

http://a248.e.akamai...58/158M60UI.PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Bazooka tube years ago. Initially I wired it to automatically switch on when the volume was present (this told it the head unit was on, so turn on the sub), but it wouldn't come on unless the volume was fairly high. It was annoying and there was an option to wire it directly to a switch and manually turn it on. Doing this required use of a different power lead on the sub's wiring harness. Not sure what color the wire was. This was 20 years ago. Does your sub come on automatically? If so, that could be it.

I have been having a very similar problem with my droid phone playing mp3s but found in only happens with downloaded music if Im listening to panadora it works fine. Just my 2 cents have you checked that?

Hmm, if you're talking about the 'remote on' wire, it's the blue one. I ran a completely isolated power wire directly from the battery (fused inline of course) and used it to have clean power to the deck and also ran it to a 30/40 relay SPDT to turn on the amps. I was told that the deck might not have enough juice to turn on 4 amps. I ran the output lead to a buss bar that I mounted on my amp rack all nice and pretty. Don't know if I had to, but everything turned on and worked first try so I'm not going to mess with it. Although after I just typed this all I realized that we weren't talking tower models so I believe there is just the powered sub so that shouldn't be an issue. Is there any additional amps in your setups?

Back