Sun shade

Dgj

Reaction score
has anyone found a decent sized mesh shade to put up for late in the afternoon when the sun is getting low? I have found lots on amazon but most are large square and I don’t think it would do well if I cut it.

Do a member search on Spoiledrotten and check out his posts. He came up with an innovative sunshade for his boat.

Thank you. I’ll look it up. Tried doing a general search but got overwhelmed with various what not.

Every time I see your pics Randy, I think “that’s the best set up.” I have to believe if you turned that into a kit for standard tow bars, it would sell like hot cakes to pontooners.

Last edited:
Side curtains is what I am needing.
The material that spoiled rotten used is what I will use I just have to measure with my tops up and determine what size to get based on how I can attach it. Bungee straps or plastic clamps.

I just added a new front OEM bimini frame ordered thru dealer and then had a boat upholsterer build me brand new front and rear bimini tops out of Sunbrella. I had them add 3" to each side for more shade. Also had them add zippers around entire perimeter of the double tops. I may have them make new side curtains next year but for now, I ordered 80% shade cloth from internet and will make my own for now. Can sew top to removable zipper half and add row of snaps that line up with playpen rail OEM snaps. I hope 80% shade Agfab? allows enough visibility to see boat traffic. Otherwise may need to add panel of less percentage shade in line of sight when sitting in captains chair. We stayed with light color fabric for staying cool on hot days. Apparently the knit type shade fabric can be cut and won't unravel but the woven shade cloth has to be hemmed or will unravel.IMG_3409.jpg IMG_3411.jpgIMG_3416.jpgIMG_3410.jpgIMG_3414.jpg

Last edited:
has anyone found a decent sized mesh shade to put up for late in the afternoon when the sun is getting low? I have found lots on amazon but most are large square and I don’t think it would do well if I cut it.
The knit ones won't unravel if cut with scissors as they have locked weave. The woven ones will unravel if cut and not hemmed. This is what I read when looking whats available on Amazon. I have some Agfabric 7'x40' 80% on order that is knit that I was going to experiment with.

Every time I see your pics Randy, I think “that’s the best set up.” I have to believe if you turned that into a kit for standard tow bars, it would sell like hot cakes to pontooners.

Several reasons I wouldn’t be interested in fabbing and selling as a kit. 1) There are too many variations of ski tow bars to work with. 2) There are too many idiots out there that would think one size fits all, plus 3) too many idiots that can’t pour piss out of a boot, and even something this simple would create many headaches for me.
I’ll agree that it’s a good concept, and works really good, but I’d rather post the pics of mine with the components used, and wish my boating friends well in replicating it to fit their needs. Hopefully it has helped someone out there.

Several reasons I wouldn’t be interested in fabbing and selling as a kit. 1) There are too many variations of ski tow bars to work with. 2) There are too many idiots out there that would think one size fits all, plus 3) too many idiots that can’t pour piss out of a boot, and even something this simple would create many headaches for me.
I’ll agree that it’s a good concept, and works really good, but I’d rather post the pics of mine with the components used, and wish my boating friends well in replicating it to fit their needs. Hopefully it has helped someone out there.

Sitting here laughing and nodding yes to everything you said above. And the older I get, the less patient I “feel” with some of the types of people you mention above. ;)

Last edited:
....I am confused....do I hold boot with left hand and then pour piss out with right...or did I get it wrong...Does it also come with lifetime guarantee ? Do you come free to lake if I have a problem ever? ...........lmao......I hear you!.....Some people can screw up a wet dream.

Back