Swingback Cushion Pop Up Bracket

Dave Tampa

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have pictures, I will, but on my 22SSBXP, the pop up cushion (the big one in back) has loosened from the brackets below. It seems the plywood at the cushion bottom has become warped enough for the screws and the cheap mounts to come loose. I know, warranty, but that's months away from getting a new cushion. I plan on a piece of sheet metal, screwed into the plywood multiple places (where it isn't rotted), then drill thru the sheet metal and then attach the cushion to the brackets, screwing thru the sheet metal. Is anything like this even close to any project you all have tackled> Wondering about types of sheet metal to use for marine applications such as this...thanks!

I always use stainless steel screws on my boats. Lowes, and probably others, have a wide selection. I generally use stainless oval phillips sheet metal together with a stainless finish (concave) washer.

Only speculation without actually seeing there problem: Depending on how the cushion is used, you may want to look at through-bolting the support bracket...? Screws (short of lag bolts) into plywood need to be numerous and aggressive for strength.

T-nuts are a great way to secure something to plywood. You drill a hole big enough for the barrel of the T-nut and insert the T-nut from the opposite side. Drive it into the plywood with a hammer and the prongs cut into the wood. Then insert a machine screw from the face side. It's as strong as a through bolt but no washer/nut/screw protruding on the other side. You can get them in stainless steel.
T-nut.png

Do you know what has caused such extreme deformation of the plywood, and accompanying bracket failure. We have a 2017 24’ SSBXP. The large rear SB seat and bracket seems very durable and rock solid on ours. I cannot imagine it getting rotted or warping let alone to the point of yours. Separate issue, but do you keep it covered? If so, does it still get drenched somehow to warp and rot?

Yep, got me worried too with my BXP (2020). I would have hoped it was marine plywood or some other material made for wet environments. I'll have to tear into it to see what the deal is and if I need to take proactive measures. Thanks for the heads up.

T-nuts are a great way to secure something to plywood.

Yes, maybe should have mentioned that possibility in my post. I've used T-nuts in power boats, but have had no need for them on our pontoon boat (yet). That said, a through-bolt with a large washer will distribute load better. That's what I've used to secure new, stronger, corner cleats on our pontoon.

Back