Tell Tale blocked

big shooter

Reaction score
We drive our boat 4-5 days a week. Yesterday I started it up after sitting for 2 days and immediately checked the tell tale as I always do, no pee at all. Shut it down. I took a piece of weed whacker string and carefully fed it up through. I hit resistance about 4 inches up. I could tell it was in the straight section so I pushed a little. A very small amount of some sandy powder came out. Started it up and it pissed like a race horse.

My question is what does it take to block the tell tale? I have a hard time believing that the little that came out was actually blocking it, but boy it sure did work when I got it out. Unless the rest of the stuff just washed out when it started flowing?

I am also trying to figure out what blocked it. The other day my prop was close to the bottom of the lake (didn't hit but close). Would sucking sand in cause it to block, I wouldn't think so. Maybe it was just a spider nest, we have plenty of those.

Yes sand would block it . Currently our water level is about a foot low . Leaving our marina I have a shallow channel to get to the river . I have to trim up as far as I can so I dont drag the skeg .

We drive our boat 4-5 days a week. Yesterday I started it up after sitting for 2 days and immediately checked the tell tale as I always do, no pee at all. Shut it down. I took a piece of weed whacker string and carefully fed it up through. I hit resistance about 4 inches up. I could tell it was in the straight section so I pushed a little. A very small amount of some sandy powder came out. Started it up and it pissed like a race horse.

My question is what does it take to block the tell tale? I have a hard time believing that the little that came out was actually blocking it, but boy it sure did work when I got it out. Unless the rest of the stuff just washed out when it started flowing?

I am also trying to figure out what blocked it. The other day my prop was close to the bottom of the lake (didn't hit but close). Would sucking sand in cause it to block, I wouldn't think so. Maybe it was just a spider nest, we have plenty of those.
Like many times before I just did the same thing with same positive results. If the pee hole is fully blocked I will lift the cover, pull the hose off the the pee fitting and clean out the fitting from the top side. The blockage is most likely at the pee fitting because it has a smaller inside diameter than the hose. I use a wire for cleaning. When not in use the wire dangles around something that is in close proximity to the motor. If the blockage is weeds I typically do not feel resistance to the wire.

Well I left the boat for 2 days and again the tell tale was blocked. This time when I ran the weed whacker string in a mud dauber actually fell out. Plus my bimini had two big nests. I didn't have any problem with them before this year. I may try to come up with a way to quickly and easily cover the tell tale hole when I am done

We have the same problem with the mud dobbers and found it necessary to plug the pee hole after every use. They are a nuisance

Maybe try some painters tape which shouldn’t leave any adhesive.

I ended up using a twisty tie. Bent it in half and flared the end to a T shape. The good thing is if I forget it will just shoot out anyway. But I never forget, I am like a urologist with that engine

Back