Texas Lake Navigation

Butchkid

Reaction score
Found a pretty good iPhone app for marine navigation. It got a little dark and this was nice to have to navigate around. It's amazing how the shore looks the same around the lake in the dark. :unsure:

Navionics iPhone App

Warning... it does cost $9.99. The lakes I boat on in Texas are included however, and the maps are pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great. One question, does it work for other states?

When I downloaded it, the first thing you do on the phone is highlight an area of the country that you are interested in and it downloads the maps of the lakes for that area to your phone. I like that so I'm not clogged up with maps I don't need, but if I want them it is very easy to download them if I travel to an area. I would guess that also helps with performance since the map isn't being pulled across the wire all of the time. They had a big picture of the US and Canada, and there were other versions for other parts of the world as well that you could select maps from. I think on the website they list the lake coverage for each state if you want to check ahead of time to make sure the lake you want is covered.

Cool. As I have a trip planned to Possum Kingdom and Texoma both this summer, I will check into this one.

Cool. As I have a trip planned to Possum Kingdom and Texoma both this summer, I will check into this one.
Ahh, the Donzi boys meet in Possum Kingdom. Nice lake I'm told.

You are right about the Navionics app; it works very well - good information, graphics and loads acceptably fast. I downloaded an area encompassing all of DFW (north to Lake Texoma, west to Possum Kingdom, south to Waco, and east almost to Shreveport) - just over 10 Mb.

Really like how it shows the underwater depth contour lines and how you can highlight shallow areas (wish the choice was 3' instead of 6' tho).

Well worth the $9.99 I think - you can spend $10-15 for just one hard copy map in stores.

Now just have to figure out how all the other stuff on it works - checked the website and it said the user manual was "coming soon". :huh:

Just an update on this app. Was out on Lake Grapevine yesterday (about 82F, 5-10mph winds, water temp 71F) and this app worked outstandingly. Showed my location very accurately and provides lots of information about lake geography and names of locations, ramps, marinas, etc.

Wish I could get this app on Droid

There is one that I saw recommended but it isn't cheap. $29.99 for Mobile Marine Navigator. I also saw some free apps but they didn't appear to be GPS. I don't have an android phone though so I'm not sure if there are others available.

Back