Those who trailer

prd2hnt

Reaction score
I like to leave the front short of the stops on the steps. Keeps from rubbing on/marking the rub rail and tearing up the stops themselves. Most of the time it works fine. At other times the boat will slide forward to the stops.

I always make sure the straps are on tight on the rear. I have run a strap from the front loops down under the front of the trailer to stop the bounce of the front. 

Anybody able to stop the boat from sliding forward? Anybody else even give it any thought, or is it just me.

Brian

I trailer 2hrs every other week and I pull it up as tight as I can, Then i have attached an eye bolt to the cross member close to the center toon and strap down to the trailer to help with bounce. Pulls like a dream and never had an issue with rub rail. 

I crank mine all the way up to the stops, then when I pull it all the way out of the water and the boat levels out it seems to back from the stops a little. I also use another tie down from the center eve to the stand to keep it from bouncing. No issues yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think it depends a lot on the trailer and setup.  Example, my previous tritoon and trailer had to be tied down front and rear to keep boat from rocking on the trailer.  Not so on current tritoon and trailer.  Current trailer is much more rugged and results in little/zero rocking with ties on just the rear and with no ties on front.  If boat did rock, I'd use a tie down on front. 

Always crank to stops.

I also pull to the stops.  My ratchet strap has a lower loop on post to run through to pull downwards and trailer frame has a loop on each side to strap it down to the bow eyes.  Once or twice i did not bump stops but it has never slid forward.

I used to use a tie down in the front, but wanted the full cover and the only way they said I could tow with it was to wrap the front edge. I had our welder make this up an it works great./monthly_2016_06/large.image.jpeg.c74f8a19742611af2770ec382e8f1e9e.jpeg

To protect the rub rail when up against the stops, get a pair of the rub rail protectors (crazy name, huh) from your dealer. They are a Bennington accessory.

The way our trailer is set up, the bow did bounce a little too so we installed a pair of Boat Buckles on the front of the trailer. Love them! Have a pair on the rear too so it's locked down pretty tight and super easy both front and rear.

Our trailer came with protectors on it, but when we picked up our boat from the dealer and after the water test, our dealer recommended that we do not pull it all the way up to the stops specifically because of this reason.  We were also given straps from our dealer for the front and back.  Works nice, our dealer is great and has been great to work with for this boat and our last boat.

/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_20160617_174635729_HDR.jpg.5e9f2092a255a198531a4401fc545a24.jpg/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_20160617_172720600.jpg.ed24a7f03068c1b1600a9ba57f27b0c6.jpg

Back