Thoughts on aluminum to SS?

22' twin toons w/ F115 - aluminum or SS prop?

• Total voters

Mike Bartell

Reaction score
I have a 2018 22SLXP with a Yamaha F115 and an aluminum prop. Unfortunately I dinged up the prop last weekend and need to replace it. I can get a fairly cheap replacement Yamaha in aluminum but I'm considering going with a Solas prop in SS with the same specs (13.25 x 17) instead. Are there any not so obvious pros/cons of going SS? I found a Solas that is only about $120 more than an aluminum. thanks for your feedback.

Aluminum you ding your prop .... stainless .. you ding your wallet replacing your lower unit

Also I don’t think you need to worry about a 115 flexing the prop.

Given that you've already dinged the current one up leads me to vote for aluminum for the next one.

Given that you've already dinged the current one up leads me to vote for aluminum for the next one.
Yeah. I was an idiot, and slowly, but most definitely, scraped it on a rock. First time I've done that in 10+ years. I gave myself a serious chewing out over it.

Yeah. I was an idiot, and slowly, but most definitely, scraped it on a rock. First time I've done that in 10+ years. I gave myself a serious chewing out over it.

Don't beat yourself up. sh!t happens!

You have a 17p prop on a 115?

Yes - a 13.25 x 17. It's the prop that the dealer put on it. Seems to perform fairly well. Not going to get pulled over for speeding but decent start and speed.

With that prop I'm curious about what your turning for RPM's at the top and what configuration of tubes do you have under the deck? That sounds a bit steep.

Something doesn't sound right. I have a tritoon with a 150 and turn a 15p which gets me 39 mph @ 6000 rpm. You're numbers are off. Maybe your tach is incorrect.

Does the Flo-Torq hub work effectively at preventing damage to the lower unit? Sounds like cheap insurance if so.

NO need to replace prop. Aluminum props are easy to repair and cost is low. Any prop repair shop can do it. As far as ss props, you will not have to replace lower unit if you hit something. I have been running them for over 50 years. Hit many things sometimes cracking blade edges. Again can be repaired with no problem. Ran over 300 hp on many SS blades. All that said as stated you don't have enough hp to justify one. Just take your prop to a shop and have it repaired. my two cents

My previous bowrider with an I/O had aluminum and I dinged it twice over the years (once a thumbnail sized chunk gone). Never any lower unit damage. Prop shop fixed it quickly and relatively inexpensive. I did buy a second aluminum one as a backup. I can only talk aluminum- never had stainless. Current small motor aluminum also.

With a 115hp on twin tubes, I wouldn’t bother with a SS. I just don’t think you see any real performance diffence to justify the price increase given the motor and twin tubes. I’d just stick with a aluminum with your set up. Not to mention the benefits mentioned above with its more forgiving on the lower unit, and more repairable if damaged. Get a new aluminum and maybe get your old prop repaired for future use as a backup...?

Back