Three or four blade prop

MBH

Reaction score
2022 18' with 60hp Mercury. I currently have a 13.5 x 15P four blade RH prop and WOT is about 17-18 w/ four people in boat and WOT RPM is about 3300.
It was suggested to me to use a three blade prop for more speed. That true?

Yes you will get more top end speed WOT however if you have several people in the boat your mid range cruising speed will drop plus handling and hole shot. Unless you enjoy going constant WOT for top end speed stay with the 4 blade. Overall better performance.

2022 18' with 60hp Mercury. I currently have a 13.5 x 15P four blade RH prop and WOT is about 17-18 w/ four people in boat and WOT RPM is about 3300.
It was suggested to me to use a three blade prop for more speed. That true?
Your greater concern is that you are lugging that engine badly at only 3300 rpm at WOT, that engine should easily be running at 5000-6000 rpm at WOT. You need to come up another 2000+ rpm to get into the safe zone, you should be down to a 10P-11P for starters. I would make sure your tach is reading correctly then go from there. . Is this a standard or command thrust gearcase?

Your greater concern is that you are lugging that engine badly at only 3300 rpm at WOT, that engine should easily be running at 5000-6000 rpm at WOT. You need to come up another 2000+ rpm to get into the safe zone, you should be down to a 10P-11P for starters. I would make sure your tach is reading correctly then go from there. . Is this a standard or command thrust gearcase?
I agree with these comments but will add not to expect much increase in MPH, but your engine will thank you.

Back